General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window just stopped, not like the normal "barely moves" its just stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window just stopped, not like the normal "barely moves" its just stopped working

I'm just looking where to start the diagnosis,
window rolled down at a quick normal speed, went about 4/16th up and just froze?

driver side won't respond to any input from the door panel, not even a sound. but the passenger window works fine off the same panel?

any help would be great,
Old 08-22-2012, 12:21 PM
4DK
Teching In

Sounds like the motor died.
If you really wanted to you can pull the panel and check you connections (volt meter)
or swap pass wires to drivers side switch and try that.
But it's probly dead.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Teching In

how can I pull the window up until the new motor comes in the mail
Old 08-22-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the door panel off and push it up.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Mine did this last summer. And the confounding part was that I rarely used my window because I knew that the window motors on our cars don't have the best reputations, and I wanted to make mine last for as long as possible. I bought a new motor on e-bay for approximately $80.00 and had it installed for about the same price. My window now rolls up and down about one-and-a-half times faster, but it still feels a little questionable.

Honestly, if I had it to do all over again, I'd be like my grand-dad and get manual windows. Seriously. Sometimes there's just beauty in simplicity.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 355 Likes on 324 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by WIKIz
how can I pull the window up until the new motor comes in the mail
This is the thermal resistor failure in the motor. (A good motor will sense when the window is all the way up or down and then cuts off. As this device goes bad, it will trip under the regular force of the window going up.)

If you let the motor cool off and do the following procedure, you may be able to get it up:
- Open the door.
- Tug up on the glass (to give it "help") as you press the switch to put the glass up.
- Once you get the window up, don't put it down until you get the new motor. This issue will get progressively worse...
Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28RS
Mine did this last summer. And the confounding part was that I rarely used my window because I knew that the window motors on our cars don't have the best reputations, and I wanted to make mine last for as long as possible. I bought a new motor on e-bay for approximately $80.00 and had it installed for about the same price. My window now rolls up and down about one-and-a-half times faster, but it still feels a little questionable.

Honestly, if I had it to do all over again, I'd be like my grand-dad and get manual windows. Seriously. Sometimes there's just beauty in simplicity.
I'd love roll up windows,
Originally Posted by wssix99
This is the thermal resistor failure in the motor. (A good motor will sense when the window is all the way up or down and then cuts off. As this device goes bad, it will trip under the regular force of the window going up.)

If you let the motor cool off and do the following procedure, you may be able to get it up:
- Open the door.
- Tug up on the glass (to give it "help") as you press the switch to put the glass up.
- Once you get the window up, don't put it down until you get the new motor. This issue will get progressively worse...
the motor just blew, I've had the symptoms you described before in my other f bodies, but this just quit,
Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Teching In

I forgot to say thank you for the help, some forums(bmw forums) wouldn't even reply
Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Banned

The majority of the time it's the motors but it can also be the body control module which is what failed in my car. Had a buddy of mine had a ws6 and it was the control box that controls the auto down feature on his which is why his didn't work and it was a pita to find any info on it.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just fixed this issue on my 02 SS (same issues you described). I used the popular doorman motor Part # 742101 (can be found cheaply on amazon and rockauto) which is supposed to have better internals than the stock motor. I used these instructions:
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Now everything works perfectly.

Good luck
Old 08-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Teching In

mine went down an inch and stopped, dead (drivers side) and it is usually the good one that doesnt have any problems. i couldnt get it to move at all when i pressed the the switch i would hear a ocassional clicking sound
Old 08-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Oddly enough my driver`s side window motor is going out on me, but.....i found it odd that i replaced my passenger side window motor like 2 years ago. I would think the driver`s side would go out first since thats the one window you use the most and also it has the auto down feature. I just find it odd thats all. Its actually pretty easy to fix, once you fix it though, all the other ones you put in in the distant future are going to be bolt in, so it will be even easier from here on out.

Quick Reply: Window just stopped, not like the normal "barely moves" its just stopped working