General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

O2 sensor install

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default O2 sensor install

Does anyone recall having to remove the starter on an upstream O2 sensor install for the passenger side? Standard exhaust manifolds. Is there an easier way?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Never heard of anyone doing that. My passenger side plug is way over by the tranny pan....

Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No sir, just jack the pasenger side up and remove the tire for extra room to manuver around, knock some wire hold downs loose and you should be good...
Old 04-24-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Excellent news. At first glance it looked like the starter might be in the way.

Thank you very much!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, this one is pretty easy. Just jack up the front end on 2 jack stands and get to it from underneath while laying on your back or side. I just did the O2s on stock exhausts, it's not that bad. You don't have to remove anything like the starter or the wheels. I did have my cats replaced though, so the connecting tubing may be slightly different.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

No I couldn't get to it without unbolting the starter and remove the wheel. The starter won't move out of the way because of the crossover pipe is too close to the oil pan to drop it down and out of the way.

**** I still can't get to it. As a reference it is one inch from the #8 plug. I did get the connector disconnected. Can this get anymore ridiculous? I shot some WD 40 on it and will let that soak over night. Looks original and a bit rusty. Maybe from the top?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Update

I am able to move the starter foward enough to access the o2 sensor. I got the socket on it but with the starter shoved so far forward it will not allow you to put a rachet on the o2 socket. Just no room.

If someone can seriously do this without starter removal I owe you a case of beer. But then again your name must be stretch Armstrong. Just no way on this car.

Started to losen up the crossover pipe to get the starter out of the way. What a ******* nightmare.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm trying to picture how you would use a ratchet for this job. I'm guessing you have one of those slotted O2 sockets? I have forgotten the size, but I just used a closed-end, 12 sided crescent wrench. Don't use the open-end side, as you may strip the O2 if it's tight. You can slip the "O" side over the wire harness (it takes a little force to push it through, but you won't break anything), down over the O2 sensor. Many crescent wrenches also have a bit of an angle on the closed end, so you can use that to your advantage to reach the tight space. Mine have this and they aren't anything fancy, just Harbor Freight pieces.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

I think the OP may be working on an LT1 car, as there is a '97 Formula in his sig. I'm sure the clearances are a bit different on the LS1 cars, and thus why there is some confusion/disagreement on the process.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I think the OP may be working on an LT1 car, as there is a '97 Formula in his sig. I'm sure the clearances are a bit different on the LS1 cars, and thus why there is some confusion/disagreement on the process.
Correct LT1.

I guess it's just something you have to witness to believe. I googled this and apparently I am not the only one with this issue. I think I will go ahead and put in new #6 and 8 plugs while I am in there.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

After sleeping on it and taking a calm approach I was able to do this without taking the starter completely out.

It will shove forward along side of the block. Enough room to change the O2 and while I was in there I changed the #6 and #8 plug.

I apologies for all of the ranting. My frustrations got the better of me.