General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Short cycling of A/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Short cycling of A/C

My ride is back on the road with new built trans/stall and retuned... Drive it as much as i can, only problem is my ac started short cycling. And as we know, you need ac in texas.
I checked the charge and appears to be ok, should i bypass the low or high pressure switch one at a time, to see if its undercharged, or overcharged?

The buddy who fixed my car when it got wrecked, vacuumed the lines and added charge. Its been sitting for a while, 5 months or so. And was winter so never really used the ac until now.

Any Ideas/suggestion, on where to do next?...
Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like the pressures are off/ it's low on charge. Check pressures, if it's low it needs filled and dye added so you can find the leak next time it starts acting up
Old 04-28-2012, 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

What pressures should I be at? I know its according to ambient temperature. Im at around 84 to 88 degrees in my area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 04-28-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can usually get a charge kit that has a gauge that'll tell you how much to charge it.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Thats the thing... I rigged up an automotive connection to my refrigerant manifolds i use for work. They read 134a r22 r410a and others, dont have the specific range on them.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

I believe around 40 on the low, and 160-180 on the high, but I am NOT 100% positive
Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.aircondition.com/tech/questions/82/
Old 04-30-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a bit of experience with the ac system so I can add a little info

If your ac doesn't engage, like when your turn the ac **** to on you don't notice the idle decrease your compressor low pressure switch has been activated. Most of the time a can of 18oz freon will top you off for 3-4 months. I like the cans that say 134+

If you notice your pressure is good, and the idle changes when it is switched on you could have a bad dryer/ evap canister.

If your car jerks noticeably every couple of seconds after adding a can of freon you have probably triggered the high pressure switch. If your car stutters and dies when the ac is turned on the compressor has seized

To add freon to the system hook the nozzle from the ac kit to the evap canister. The canister is the aluminum canister behind the battery.

I recommend the trigger canister with a pressure gauge on it. Max pressure should be around 40

If you do have a major issue and need to replace the compressor or canister be sure you check your lines for any metal shavings. If there are shavings in your system it could destroy any new parts you install

An ac vacuum tool can be rented from autozone

Those are the most common problems and issues I have encountered with the 6 different fbodies I've owned
Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
I have a bit of experience with the ac system so I can add a little info

If your ac doesn't engage, like when your turn the ac **** to on you don't notice the idle decrease your compressor low pressure switch has been activated. Most of the time a can of 18oz freon will top you off for 3-4 months. I like the cans that say 134+

If you notice your pressure is good, and the idle changes when it is switched on you could have a bad dryer/ evap canister.

If your car jerks noticeably every couple of seconds after adding a can of freon you have probably triggered the high pressure switch. If your car stutters and dies when the ac is turned on the compressor has seized

To add freon to the system hook the nozzle from the ac kit to the evap canister. The canister is the aluminum canister behind the battery.

I recommend the trigger canister with a pressure gauge on it. Max pressure should be around 40

If you do have a major issue and need to replace the compressor or canister be sure you check your lines for any metal shavings. If there are shavings in your system it could destroy any new parts you install

An ac vacuum tool can be rented from autozone

Those are the most common problems and issues I have encountered with the 6 different fbodies I've owned
LMFAO! Evap canister?? pretty sure that's a Accumulator.. but anyways.. Just take it to a shop and get it looked at.. They will charge it up and put some Dye in it, chances are it has a small leak on either a o-ring on a fitting, or a crack in the line or a bad condenser from the accident... Also just unplug the compressor if its switching on and off like that you are going to wreck that compressor and send metal filings all over the system..
Old 05-03-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's called several things, dryer is also a relative term. But I guess better advice is to tell people to take their car to a shop instead of telling them how to fix an issue
Old 05-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Teching In

@ 85*f ambient my charging dispenser gives a range of 45-55 psi on the low side. Watch your low side pressure when it short cycles. If it's dropping to around 25 psi just before the compressor cuts out then you're undercharged.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know about a rigged gauge setup, but. . . . . Throw on your gauges, fire up the car with the AC on, check the pressures.

Depending on ambient air temp. you should read 30+ on the low(at lowest point) & around 200 on the high side(at highest point).

If the pressures are legit, jump the hi/low sensor or replace it. I found that the one on my Blazer is adjustable. It has a pressure screw on the inside of the inlet.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't be leaking if your friend pulled a proper vacuum he should have noticed its leaking...

Quick Reply: Short cycling of A/C