General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight motor

Ok I have read tons of threads about the motors already but have not seen the answer for my specific question.

Yesterday my passenger headlight stop going up. I can still adjust it manually with an allen wrench. The gears have never made any noise previously so is it possible for the actual motor and not the gears are bad? How would I test it to find out .

Thanks

Last edited by Tribal; 05-10-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is possible for the motor to jjust short out or die. Happened to my drivers side motor on my 98 trans am. Just check all your connections and fuses and if everything checks out chances are the motor took a ****
Old 05-11-2012, 07:04 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 353 Likes on 322 Posts

The key question is has your motor ever been changed or unplugged before? If so, I'd say you have a better than 50% chance the problem is corrosion in the motor's electrical connector. They take a beating and all corrode horribly. The minute we unplug them and re-connect them, the contacts make their new connections partially over the corroded surfaces, which can lead to shorts.

If you apply 12V to the motors wires in the connector, you can confirm if its good. Likewise you can test for voltage on the other connector to see if power is getting there.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Those big connections are known for this, when i disconnected mine they were all green inside. Start with this, will not cost you anything. Check for +12v with a testlamp.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Well I installed a new motor today and the problem is still there. The connections look good and the headlight is getting power so the motor should also be getting the power if my thinking is correct. What connection should I test to verify this theory ? So frustrated with this issue but it does give me and my 8 yr old a chance to work together lol. He keeps me from throwing tools

I also found this one connection that comes in with the headlight wiring that is disconnected and I can not see where it should go

Last edited by Tribal; 05-11-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Tribal
The connections look good
Really? I've never heard of that. You should have green or white corrosion in there.

the headlight is getting power so the motor should also be getting the power if my thinking is correct.
You just need one terminal of the 5 to be off to have a problem. Sometime the motor works and the headlight doesn't.

So frustrated with this issue but it does give me and my 8 yr old a chance to work together lol. He keeps me from throwing tools
Time to teach our 8 year old to use an electrical tester. You need to trace the two motor wires to their position in the connector and look for 12V coming from the body when you open/close the doors. If you don't have power there, then you could have a defective door control module. If you do have power, its corrosion.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Teching In

There was no corrosion in the connections which I am thankful for. I will test the voltage tomorrow and hopefully that will tell me what is going on. Any ideas on the plug in the picture. It is the female side but have no idea what it goes to.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

To bad picture i cannot identify this, sorry.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Teching In

ok now my motor is moving the headlight but now my headlights are not working together. When i turn them on one goes up and the other stays down. I am a few more problems away from lighter fluid and a match. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Which headlight iss staying down?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Save the manuals!

ok now my motor is moving the headlight but now my headlights are not working together. When i turn them on one goes up and the other stays down. I am a few more problems away from lighter fluid and a match. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Huh? Wasn't this the original problem you posted? One headlight wouldn't go up?

If you are this frustrated, maybe you should take the car to someone? The headlight is a critical component, but as issues go - this one is really easy to fix. You just need to have an electrical tester to see where voltage is flowing to and another person to turn the lights on/off so you can see what is happening.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Teching In

yeah the problem is one would stay down but now the will both move but in opposite directions. If the right is up the left is down, left is up right is down so my original problem has been solved but this has started.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you looked into this thread, it´s 64 page long only cover TA headligt
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...s-go-here.html
Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Save the manuals!

yeah the problem is one would stay down but now the will both move but in opposite directions. If the right is up the left is down, left is up right is down so my original problem has been solved but this has started.
Did you disconnect the door linkage from the motor? If so, you probably put it back on incorrectly. Check the other side and make sure the linkage moves between the stops correctly and that you've pressed it on the shaft all the way. (If it is crooked, and doesn't slide over the keyed portion of the shaft, you will also have problems.)
Old 05-13-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OOk now im just gonna spitball at this one. When you turn them on hand crank the on that stays down up and see if theyll at least both go down at the same time
Old 05-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Yeah the linkage is exactly the same on both sides. I have tried putting them both up, both down every possible combo and the same outcome. The rh light still only comes up when I turn the lights off. Voltage is good connections are good, and the linkage is correct so I have no idea what to do lol
Old 05-13-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did this occured after you played around with the main connection? RH you said - driver side?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

weird

Quick Reply: Headlight motor