General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car running a little warm.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car running a little warm.....

99 Camaro SS m6.

The car heats up quick and goes up right about 210 I'd say around 215ish and stayes there. Idling, and driving. No matter what. I let it idle for 10 minutes and stayed right there.

Didn't know if that could be a gauge.

It does have a very very small crack in the radiator, could that be causing it?
Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Well like they say,the 99+ guages in these cars aren't that accurate,I have a 99Z and after driving for about 10-15 minutes the guage will read just under 210,usually around 205-208.Doesn't matter if I'm driving 30 minutes or an hour,the guage will still read the same.I've had the car 2 years and it's been like that since the first day I got it,I'm pretty sure its normal.As for the crack in the radiator,I doubt that could be ur prob since u say its so small but then again I could be wrong.My bro has a 99Z also and he had a small crack in his radiator and it didn't cause his car to run hot until the crack got worse and had to replace it.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:23 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

That sounds about normal. All the '99+ gauges stay somewhere between a hair under or a hair over the 210° mark (which in reality means that the engine is actually running somewhere between 190-230° on a scanner - and those are normal running temps for a stock t-stat and stock fan settings).

If you are concerned, the best thing would be to hook up a scanner and you can see the actual temp it's running at.

As for the crack, if it's not leaking coolant yet then this has nothing to do with running temps. This is just what happens with the plastic tanks as they age. It won't cause any change in coolant temps until it gets bad enough to leak (which is something you should keep an eye on now that you see it's cracked).
Old 05-12-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys...it is leaking very very little..not enought to even cause a smell or drip on the ground even. I plan on replacing it very soon.