General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Removing the center console issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the center console issue

Im trying to get to my reverse switch in my 98 Camaro A4. Im trying to lift the center console now, I got the 2 bolts in the front, the 2 in the box, and Im trying to lift it from the rear seat. Seems like something is still holding it in place. Did I miss something?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I copied this from another post in a different thread. I plan to tackle this this weekend.

1) Remove two bolts where the console meets the dash.
2) Remove the shift ****.
Set Parking Brake, pull lever back to 1 or 2. Pull retainer out with a small pick or screwdriver from the front of the ****. Pull up/off ****.
3) Remove the coin holder by pulling straight up. Remove two screws that were hidden under there.

Pull upper section of the console off.

That should be everything.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, you probably just missed the 2 screws hidden under the cup holder. Also, to remove the shift handle there is a little U shaped retainer to pull out.

Not sure about the Camaro but it is probably similar to the Firebird. On the Firebird the U retainer is on the front of the handle, you can't really see it until you turn the key on and shift into 1st. It just prys out using a small screwdriver or needle-nosed pliers.