General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Seafoam sprayed TB,now security light flashes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seafoam sprayed TB,now security light flashes!

I just picked up some seafoam spray and sprayed my throttle body,waited 10 min per instructions now my security light flashes and car wont start.Now i know about the VATS thing and was wondering is it just a coincidence that the pellet on my key quit working at the same time....Going to get a key made tomorrow
Old 05-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Also the pellet is loose on my key,i can move it in and out a little...
Old 05-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Ok,now all hell has broke loose...I take my key out and all the dash lights,head lights and beeping are going on in my car without the key in the ignition...i can hear a clicking sound from under the dash on passengers side...also,last week i had to take out the fuse for my over head lights because they would not turn off...Security light flashes and will not allow me to start car...I had no choice but to unplug my battery

Please help asap...Could this be the BCM?????
Old 05-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be your bcm, but I don't know a whole lot about them offhand. However, your first course of action should be to get to a dealer and have them make a brand new key. Scratch that, TWO brand new keys. They may or may not solve your problem, but your existing key is falling apart and that isn't going to help anything. You can likely just have them cut you the keys with just your VIN. That's your best bet and will give you a factory cut instead of them cutting it off your worn old key.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Well i got the BCM to stop clicking by changing the courtesy fuse,and my doors now lock again through the remote.BUT!!!!! My security light still flashes and the car will not start,my running lights and the courtesy light stay on continuously also. This "Flashing Security Light" issue is really kicking my a&%,i have tried everything to get the car to start.From what ive read is that if its flashing the BCM does not recognize the pellat in the key,now the "chip" in my key is kinda loose so could that be the problem?????

Should i go to the dealer and have a new key made,is that a guaranteed fix for my problem???
Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, try your spare key. That should tell you if the problem is with the other key, unless both keys are equally fcked. If that doesn't work, go get a new key cut because you're gonna need it regardless of the spare key being your fix. If the new key doesn't fix it, it's time to check the wires. The tilt wheels have a bad problem about breaking the wires that go from the ignition lock cylinder. If those are broken, the VATS can't read the resistor in the key.

Also, can you hear your fuel pump prime when you turn the key? Could help diagnose broken wire against bad ignition switch.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a bad ignition switch.

Quick Reply: Seafoam sprayed TB,now security light flashes!