General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear Hatch Strut Replacement

Old 03-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevella
Sorry to hijack/bump an old thread like this, but I figure me posting here might help another desperate internet searcher. I have a coupe 2002, and yeah, I'm worried about pulling off the plastic moulding. There's no screws, plastic metal or otherwise, so I just yank on the plastic and it will come off...and more importantly, I'll be able to put it back on?

I'm worried I'll damage the (presumably plastic) screws that are hidden if I just yank it off. Can anyone tell me where I should pull from, to minimize the risk of damaging the plastic so badly I won't be able to get it back on?
I had to replace my hatch struts about a year ago on my hard top camaro. All I did was pull the sail panels back a couple of inches to remove the torx bolt.

If your sail panels are really tight and you're afraid of breaking them, pop the clothes hanger hooks out. Then you shouldn't have any problems moving the sail panels.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Another "bump" to this old thread, just to add more info for others who may need to know...

The 4th Gen Firebird Convertible uses different struts than the hard top. (Another GM-discontinued part, but aftermarket equivalents are available.)
Old 06-19-2015, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

I used a firebird strut as a replacement a few years back on my TA, it was fine until the weather turned colder, would stay up for about 5 seconds and then the hatch would do a freefall.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the posts guys. I just did my 2000 struts and it went like a dream. Didn't need to remove the garment holder and used a hair dryer to warm the rubber piece before removal and reinstall on new unit. I used an allen wrench cause the T-50 was hard to find.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A few years ago I put the MONROE 901032 "Max-Lift" specifically for the Trans Am on my car (901034 is for the Formula & V6 hatch) and they stink-on-ice. They actually worked as poorly as the 10+ year old ones I took off. The temps have to be above 80 degrees for the hatch to lift itself, otherwise you have to do quite a bit of the work, and in the winter it won't even stay all the way up (I hear there's a pill for that...).

Anyone have any better experiences with other brands? I was even hoping to find something like these UHP (Ultra High Pressure) struts that are retrofitted for the 300ZX.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So can anyone recommend any Trans Am struts then? I see a lot of talk about them but no actual recommendations.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought some Stabilus Lift-o-mat struts for my T/A years ago and they're still working great. It looks like they're owned by Sachs now, but they were US made when I bought them and were the OEM brand for GM.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if Lift-O-Mat did the hood struts too? Those things still lift with gusto on my car!
Old 01-28-2017, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShovelMan
So can anyone recommend any Trans Am struts then? I see a lot of talk about them but no actual recommendations.
Option 1
<non-sponsor removed> carries all three: Firebird, Trans Am, and Convertible. $30 / pair for Trans Am. I just ordered trunk shocks for my GTO from them after reading many good things about them on another forum. (They also have a bunch of other cool replacement parts I now want for the Goat).

Option 2
<non-sponsor removed> carries several brands at different price points. The only ones I would recommend are AC Delco, which are roughly twice the cost of the ones from <non-sponsor removed>.

You could get Monroe brand from <non-sponsor removed> for a few bucks less than some others, but I don't recommend them. Last weekend I installed new hood shocks on both the GTO and the Maxima. The GTO got AC Delco, the Max got Monroe. Both purchased from <non-sponsor removed>. There is a very noticeable difference in their strengths. AC Delco holds firm and requires a little force when moving from the fully open position. Monroe is just as soft from fully open as from halfway closed.

If you want good replacements for a good price, go with Option 1. If you want really good replacements and aren't worried about twice the price, go with Option 2.

Last edited by wssix99; 01-28-2017 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Gratuitous retailer references removed
Old 03-15-2017, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just picked up a 98 Trans Am after getting rid of mine several years ago. I bought some struts off of Amazon and they didn't have the boot. The ones on the car now are nasty and kind of dry rotted. Does anyone know where to get the rubber boot from? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-2017, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1999 Camaro Convertible trunk lift struts.

Hi! I just wanted to share my feelings towards "Sach's" rear trunk lift struts I recently purchased off Rockauto.com. The first set I bought, wouldn't even hold the trunk lid open, definetly would not open by itself. I submitted a warranty claim, and I just got the second set ( warranty set) and these will hold the deck lid open, but will not open the deck lid once you depress the remote or the trunk release button on the dash.
Which struts are you guys with convertibles using and what's the reasonable price for them?
thanks!
Ben Smith

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Strut Replacement