General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ls1 Sound Making odd sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls1 Sound Making odd sound

Hello,

I just purchased a supposedly stock 2000 Camaro SS, 65k miles and yesterday noticed an odd sound coming out of it similar to this (found these on youtube):

and this:

It sounds just like that, but not as loud. When I first listened to the motor it did not make that sound, It sounded perfect - no noise at all. I have put maybe 75 miles on it since the purchase. I took it out last night (it was cooler outside) and really started to notice it. Drove it again today and it was still there, but not as bad. It seems to go away once I start driving but I could hear it when I pulled the car in the garage after a 20 minute drive. Please tell me I didnt buy a pile of junk. I've been $hitting my pants all day.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's called piston slap. It's common on many LS1's but I don't like it. Mine doesn't do it.

It's not bad, just let the car warm up before you drive it. The reason you didn't hear it when you bought it is because the owner warmed the car up and hid it from you.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sepsis
It's called piston slap. It's common on many LS1's but I don't like it. Mine doesn't do it.

It's not bad, just let the car warm up before you drive it. The reason you didn't hear it when you bought it is because the owner warmed the car up and hid it from you.
Thanks for the response. Thats kind of what I was expecting to hear. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that it was still doing it after it was warmed up.

I love this car by the way. I took my buddy for a ride and he was shocked how well it ran. He had a 02 Firehawk and has since moved on to a low 10 1979 T/A.