General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window sweeps popping up

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window sweeps popping up

Recently had my '98 TA repainted and had the outer window sweeps replaced at the same time because the old ones wouldn't stay clipped in. Now the new ones are doing the same thing. They'll stay for awhile and then eventually come loose and pop up.

If I took them off, applied some windshield urethane to the back side and then clipped them in and let the urethane cure would that hold them in place permanently? Any other ideas that might work better?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 06-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Anybody?

I guess if nobody has any ideas, I'll go ahead with the urethane, try it for a week or two to see if it holds, and post the results for anybody that has this problem and searches in the future.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine does this at the back on the passenger outside. I think it's that the spring clips aren't holding. Maybe try bending the clips for more tension? I haven't taken mine off, but that is what I would do if I removed it from the car.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Teching In

I think in my case it was that the old sweeps had come loose and been pressed back into place so many times that the fiberglass was worn and the clips (even on the new sweeps) couldn't grip well enough to hold. I've urethaned the driver side sweep and so far it hasn't budged since the urethane cured. I'm going to give it a week or so to be sure then if it's still holding good, I'll do the passenger side.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 06-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Launching!

might have to do the same for my drivers side window sweep. some of the little clips are rusted and broken. hope the windshield urethane holds for you!