General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cooling Fans Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cooling Fans Problem

Alright, so my fans will not kick on. I know that the sensor in the block isn't the most accurate but I still don't think it should be reading close to the red on the temp gauge after, especially given that it normally reads about 190 when I'm cruising. Coolant flows, thermostat opens, just seems to overheat and fans don't turn on. I checked the ohms on the ECT and they're accurate given ambient temperature. No SES light. All relays in the box are good. If I jump pins 5 and 6 and turn KOEO, the fans work as such:

Fan Relay 1 in: Neither fan
Relay 1 and 3: Passenger side fan on
Relay 1 and 2: Driver side fan on
Relay 2: Driver side fan on
Relay 2 and 3: Driver side fan on
Relay 3: Neither fan
Relay 1, 2, and 3: Both fans on
Does the same no matter what other relays are or aren't plugged in. All the fuses are good.

Dunno if this may be related, but it's also a problem. A/C doesn't work and if I turn the A/C on inside the car, fans don't kick on. This is where it gets a little convoluted. A/C lines read about 45 psi. It looks like the clutch isn't engaging on the compressor when I turn the A/C on. But one thing I did notice was that when I turned the car to KOEO, when I put the relay in place, there was a clunk on the passenger side in addition to the relay clicking.

Questions, comments, concerns, solutions? If I can avoid a manual fan switch, that's preferable.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When it reads 250-260, or near the red on the gauge...have you popped the hood and touched the intake to see if the engine really is that hot. Might just need a new coolant temp sensor.

If you can't keep your hand on the intake....then it really is getting hot. If you can, its running at normal temps.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was too hot for me to keep my hand on it, or even leave within about half an inch of.

Only gets that hot when I idle for like 10-20 min without moving.

Last edited by DisasterFormula; 06-06-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Second opinion?