General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A *&@# $50 can of air.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default A *&@# $50 can of air.

I went for the first step and bought a freon 134 can from Auto Zone. When my friend plugged it in the low side the gauge registered in the low part of the green area so basically the freon is good. I'm guessing Auto Zone will not take it back even though I never pulled the trigger. I would sell it on here but I am sure it is flammable & unship able. I guess I will check my dd to see if it needs any.
The compressor is not kicking on. I was hoping it was b/c of low freon but apparently that is not the case. I hope it is a relay or a wire problem. This car has a lot of bottom surface rust. Maybe it was near water. I guess I need to bring it into my mechanic who is usually fair w/ me. Any hints???
Old 06-15-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
I went for the first step and bought a freon 134 can from Auto Zone. When my friend plugged it in the low side the gauge registered in the low part of the green area so basically the freon is good. I'm guessing Auto Zone will not take it back even though I never pulled the trigger. I would sell it on here but I am sure it is flammable & unship able. I guess I will check my dd to see if it needs any.
The compressor is not kicking on. I was hoping it was b/c of low freon but apparently that is not the case. I hope it is a relay or a wire problem. This car has a lot of bottom surface rust. Maybe it was near water. I guess I need to bring it into my mechanic who is usually fair w/ me. Any hints???
Did you actually puncture the can? If not, I don't see why Autozone wouldn't take it back. R134 is starting to get phased out of production, so the price is going way up much like what happened to Freon-12 a while back. You could return it.....or hold onto it and sell it for triple the price in a few years!

Does the clutch on the compressor engage at all? Was it working fine beforehand? Did it stop all of a sudden or kind of peter out over time.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
Did you actually puncture the can? If not, I don't see why Autozone wouldn't take it back. R134 is starting to get phased out of production, so the price is going way up much like what happened to Freon-12 a while back. You could return it.....or hold onto it and sell it for triple the price in a few years!

Does the clutch on the compressor engage at all? Was it working fine beforehand? Did it stop all of a sudden or kind of peter out over time.
First thanks for the quick reply. The can is puntured I guess b/c we unscrewed the neck, pulled the tab to screw the head w/ the gauge on but I didn't pull the trigger to release thefreon.

I bought the car like this. When I bought it I was so hot for the car I didn't care @ the time. I dont hear anything or see any pull from the compressor.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
First thanks for the quick reply. The can is puntured I guess b/c we unscrewed the neck, pulled the tab to screw the head w/ the gauge on but I didn't pull the trigger to release thefreon.

I bought the car like this. When I bought it I was so hot for the car I didn't care @ the time. I dont hear anything or see any pull from the compressor.
Me personally in a situation like that I'd bring it to a shop that specializes in that and ask them what is wrong.

Hopefully someone can chime in here and tell you how to jump the relay to see if the compressor will start up. Likely you'll be replacing some part that will require you to decharge the system. In that case, you'll have to bring it to a shop so they can recover the expensive refrigerant.

Start with the relay, either jump it or buy a new one. I've attached a schematic that should help you. The relay is in one of the fuse distribution blocks under the hood.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, this is way beyond me.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

check fuses and relays first if those are good you can try jumpering the plug on the low pressure switch much past that youre better off taking it to a pro
Old 06-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the a/c has any codes set it will not function by default. You need to scan the car for body codes.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ended up taking it to my mechanic. He vacumed the system, filled it correctly, oiled the compressor & it was spitting ice. even though the gauge read in the green zone it still didn't have enough freon. I will really test it tomorow when the heat wave hits.

Auto Zone gave me store credit for the can since it was opened after I gave them a little pressure. I thought that was fair. Thanks for listening. Brian.

Quick Reply: A *&@# $50 can of air.