General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Reviving the Window Motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Reviving the Window Motor

Okay, so I built my own Autotrix kit and can see an immediate difference. My passenger window will raise/lower almost the entire way before it stalls out. But, the motor still needs replacing. As of right now I'm a bit strapped for cash and would like to avoid spending $50 for a new window motor. So I was wondering if anyone had a write up or link to a forum with the info on how to pull apart the motor, clean up the commentator and brushes, and put it all back together.

Also, unrelated but will the M6 center console assembly from the 97-02 Birds just fit right into a 95? Because I like the look of it more than my stock console and want to use the 12V power port on it and the little cassette holder to install some switches when I put 100 shot in it.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just never get tired of talking to myself.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

check the plug in wiring harness make sure the metal contacts are not to open...squeeze them closer together also clean the metal contacts on the motor itself and slightly twist them just a little bit to help make better contact with the harness....do it for both sides driver and passenger see if it eliminates the window motor from stalling...takes a little time to do the work but it costs zero dollars to try it....it worked for me.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took apart mine, the grease inside the motor had seized up and hardened. I scooped out all the old grease and replaced it with new stuff. put the motor back together and it all worked
Old 06-22-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What type of grease? Dielectric, lithium, etc.? And any advice on taking the motor apart? Murphy's Law enjoys stalking me.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by perezpowerbuilders
check the plug in wiring harness make sure the metal contacts are not to open...squeeze them closer together also clean the metal contacts on the motor itself and slightly twist them just a little bit to help make better contact with the harness....do it for both sides driver and passenger see if it eliminates the window motor from stalling...takes a little time to do the work but it costs zero dollars to try it....it worked for me.
Did you have to remove the motor or do any drilling for cleaning the contacts on the motor? I currently don't have a drill. On my list to get.
Already went over all the switches, wiped out the dust, brushed 'em up, etc. Didn't do much b/c they were already pretty clean and tight. Thinking my problems lie in the motor. I think it's stock lol.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
What type of grease? Dielectric, lithium, etc.? And any advice on taking the motor apart? Murphy's Law enjoys stalking me.
I seem to remember it being dielectric but I don't really remember as this was a little while back. To open the motor you have to drill out the rivets there's maybe 8 of them or something. Then putting it back together I just used small bolts and nuts through the holes where the rivets used to be
Old 06-22-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GM sure had a hard on for rivets. Remember what size drill bits I need to get the motor out and then opened? I'm assuming they need to be hardened.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

yes, you will have to remove the motor not hard to do at all..there is a pretty good write up on how to do it on this site.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, it doesn't look too hard to remove it. Shbox is my friend. Just need to get a drill.