General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Issue

I'm having an issue with my A/C. At first, on very hot days it wasn't blowing cold enough. I then charged the A/C with freon cans and using accurate professional gauges. The system was a little low on freon. Once I charged it, it was blowing how it should and everything was fine. Then on a very hot day I turn on the A/C and the compressor does not come on after the engine has reached operating temps. At first I suspected a leak, but when I hooked up my gauges everything was normal. Also when the compressor does run, its not blowing any cold air what so ever. I did notice that the compressor was never cycling the way it should. Does anyone have any idea whats going on?

Last edited by Phil424; 06-18-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your compressor is either engaging or not engaging.

If it is not engaging when the engine is running, you WILL NOT get normal pressure readings since the compressor is not pumping freon through the system.

turn the motor on and AC on. Get under the car and see if the compressor clutch is engaged. If not, you may have blown a fuse that runs/protects the compressor clutch. If you blew a fuse, you may have too much freon in the system or worse.

If the compressor is running and the system does not blow cold air, you may have a dead compressor, clogged expansion valve, or a freon system leak.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:33 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have overfilled the system. I had a similar issue w/ mine where removing only a small amount of the refrigerant had it working good again. Another thing to note is that the compressors in these cars don't cycle on and off like alot of cars do. They are designed as variable displacement and run constantly when A/C or defrost is selected.