General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Light problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Light problems

Okay, going to work last night, turned on my lights. Dash bulbs were on for a second then went out. Here's what works: headlights, tail lights, brakes, turn signals, hazards, interior courtesy lamps. What doesn't work: parking lights, dash lights, no dinging sound inside the car when you turn on the lights with the car off. If I turn the switch all the way to headlights then turn it back down to parking lights, the headlights go down instead of staying up when the parking lights were working. Ideas? I'm thinking blown bulb but I haven't checked yet b/c I just got off a 12 hour shift and I'm about to sleep so I can go work 12 more hours tonight. >_<
Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Sounds like a bad headlight switch. All you need to do is take the switch out and test it with a continuity tester.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dammit, I didn't want to invest a lot of work into this weekend. Wanted to relax for once. Oh well. no rest for the wicked.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
Dammit, I didn't want to invest a lot of work into this weekend. Wanted to relax for once. Oh well. no rest for the wicked.
Take trim off - 2.25 minutes
Take switch out - 1.5 minutes
Test with electrical tester - 2.0 minutes
Drink Beer and relax for a bit - 90 minutes
Old 06-23-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, that switch took more like 5 minutes b/c all the stuff in there is extremely stiff and I was being ginger with it b/c I don't feel like snapping something off. Trim is still hanging off the steering column lolz.

And I just got off a 12 hour shift, bringing my weekly total to 64 hours so any additional work quantifies as too much for my taste right now. And I'd rather have some Jack Daniels, if it's all the same lol.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I need to practice reading my wiring diagrams because I end up having problems with understanding what everything is and hating reading them, but I never want to practice b/c I hate reading them. Anyways, all aspects of my headlight switch are good.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Save the manuals!

If your 95 has the same wiring as my 99, all you need to do is unplug the switch, turn it to the parking lights position, and confirm that electricity flows between the switch terminals that the brown and orange wires plug in to.

I'll bet that current will not flow. If so, its time for a new switch.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
Anyways, all aspects of my headlight switch are good.
Guess I was vague. Sleep deprivation does that to me. I checked. For parking lights, there's supposed continuity between H and B when off, H and C when set to parking or headlights. Mine has those appropriate continuities. Checked all other connections on my switch and they were all good.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found the problem. No power coming off the battery to the switch for the parking lights. Time to check fuses. Again.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, moral of the story is DON'T CHECK YOUR FUSES WHEN YOU'RE HALF ASLEEP AND AFTER A 12 HOUR SHIFT AT WORK! Went back out there and the fuse was blown. Replaced and everything is copacetic. this bee-otch!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update: The fuse blew again. If I put too big a fuse in the gauges slot, the tail/parking lights fuse would blow. What it turned out to be is that the printed circuit board that the dimmer switch uses had a big ole crack in it. Replaced the switch, $13 part, and now my stuff is working perfectly.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 firebird

my son has a 96 Formula Firebird. The dash lights, AC lights and the console lights all went out at once.
dimmer switch will still turn on the dome lights. The horn and parking lights work too. Says he checked all the fuses too and they are good. Any suggestions on where to start?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a problem with the interior dimmer switch. Pull the interior dimmer switch out and take it apart, see if everything inside it is good. If it isn't, the part number is UDS488.

Quick Reply: Light problems