General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default A/C Question

I bought the car in April 2011 and the A/C didn't work. I charged it up and it last for two or so days. I charged it up again a month or so later and it worked for like two days again. I recently wrecked my car because the brakes didn't work and had to replace the condenser. I borrowed my Grandfather's vacuum pump to suck any moisture out and it held pressure for the entire duration. Does this mean the leak has been fixed and the condenser was the problem? Thanks

Last edited by xBrandonx; 06-23-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off you mean it held a VACUUM!!! That is not always a good test. I have had systems hold Vacuum but not pressure. But if it holds a vacuum charge it and see what happens. Make sure you dye the system and do it discreatly. You need a license to work on AC Systems. Just keep a low profile and or work in your garage with the door closed. Tom!!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tom falco
First off you mean it held a VACUUM!!! That is not always a good test. I have had systems hold Vacuum but not pressure. But if it holds a vacuum charge it and see what happens. Make sure you dye the system and do it discreatly. You need a license to work on AC Systems. Just keep a low profile and or work in your garage with the door closed. Tom!!
Thanks for the response, Tom.

I'm going to call my Uncle (who has his own business in HVAC) to charge it up for me. It's alot cheaper than buying those little cans at Walmart.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by xBrandonx
Thanks for the response, Tom.

I'm going to call my Uncle (who has his own business in HVAC) to charge it up for me. It's alot cheaper than buying those little cans at Walmart.
2 cans....$12.00. Thats all you need.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Good call if he is HVAC you are golden and he will find any leaks for you. Good luck
Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS6427
2 cans....$12.00. Thats all you need.

Yeah, but my Uncle has the big jugs of it and will sell it to me cheaper.

Originally Posted by tom falco
Good call if he is HVAC you are golden and he will find any leaks for you. Good luck

Yeah, thanks.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those cans suck a$$. Pay the money, have it recovered, vacuumed, dyed, and recharged properly. Then have it looked at in a week or so with a dye test kit. 95% of all my a/c problems at the shop are leaks. Occasional blown/missing fuse or relay. Lotta condensor leaks too, since it gets pelted with all the garbage and bugs on the road.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
Those cans suck a$$. Pay the money, have it recovered, vacuumed, dyed, and recharged properly. Then have it looked at in a week or so with a dye test kit. 95% of all my a/c problems at the shop are leaks. Occasional blown/missing fuse or relay. Lotta condensor leaks too, since it gets pelted with all the garbage and bugs on the road.
Yeah, those cans do suck. I can never fully charge my A/C with it. I know mine had a leak since I charged it before with a can. I just put a new condenser on and I hope that was the cause. I'm going sometime this week to get it charged and will let you guys know!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Well I finally got around to getting it charged. It blew cold for a 1.5 days then it got warm. That rules out the condenser. Ughhh.... so hot LOL