General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hesitation? Backfire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Hesitation? Backfire?

I had to go get my registration re-newed (expired in March) so I can get my car inspected.

Got in my car at my house, primed the fuel pump twice, started up, ran great.

Stopped off to get gas. When I started it, it had little to no hesitation (5 min from my house).

Got to the DMV, circled and looked for a parking spot, parked it, went in, waited for the morons in front of me to finish (20 minutes later). Got my new tags and what not, left (30 minutes since I parked).

Got in the car again, primed the pump twice, started it....

It had some major hesitation while trying to start. It sounded like it was dieing. I put it into drive and it felt like the car was jumping. I pulled out of the parking spot and gave it gas and it would hesitate... so I just coasted to the stop sign to get to the bigger parking lot.

Once I got in the bigger parking lot I tried to just do laps around to see what was going on. It kept doing it... so I popped the hood, made sure the spark plug wires visibly looked ok, they did I guess lol. The temp was creeping up to 210, so I just blasted the heat on.

I looked under the car to see if anything was dripping, I didn't see anything but I heard rattling or cracking sound every now and then espically when I was circling the parking lot, it made crackling sounds.

I gave it some quick revs to see what would happen, if sounded like it wanted to die. After some revs, it was better. I pulled out onto the road and took the back roads home this time instead of the highway to be safer. It drove fine the rest of the way home.

There is no Check Engine Light on either.

This is not the first time this has happened. It only does it on hot starts. Any ideas? I smell fuel in the rear after I park the car; if that helps at all.

It only does this when you turn the car off and start it when it's warm. I don't recall it EVER doing it when you start the car up cold and drive it. I drive it to work and it never hesitates, by time I'm done work, the motor is cold so it doesn't do it.

I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires and coils two months ago due to a misfire.

EDIT: It might of even sounded like a backfire, I'm not sure.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Anybody? It's still doing it.

I've replaced the fuel filter and ran some fuel cleaner through it.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clean your MAF sensor, it could also be your o2 sensors going out.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you for the response, this is driving me nuts.

How can you check the o2 sensors?

Also, I have a check engine light, P0174, bank 2 running lean. I cleared it two months ago after I replaced the fuel filter and ran fuel injector cleaner through it. It just came back two weeks ago, I cleared it again, and it has yet to come back. Can this somehow be related?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine always sets a lean code before the o2 sensor craps out on me.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xBrandonx
Thank you for the response, this is driving me nuts.

How can you check the o2 sensors?

Also, I have a check engine light, P0174, bank 2 running lean. I cleared it two months ago after I replaced the fuel filter and ran fuel injector cleaner through it. It just came back two weeks ago, I cleared it again, and it has yet to come back. Can this somehow be related?
Get it scanned.....sounds like the 02 sensor is taking a ****. And I don't mean a code scanner, a real scanner that can see how the 02 sensors are switching WHILE the engine is running and hot. The 02's also operate differently when they are cold and when they are up to operating temp. After the engine is hot the 02 sensors do all the work under normal throttle, so it makes sense that your problem happens only when its hot. The MAF takes care of things when you're engine temps are cold and climbing.

You need to change that 02 sensor.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

I got some live data, here it is! I don't know how to read it to save my life.

Also, it was throwing P0174. I cleared it two months ago and it came back two weeks ago. I cleared it two weeks ago and it didn't come back. They both came on while on the freeway. I changed the fuel filter and ran fuel cleaner through it.

First set - semi-warm start
Second set - hot start (but wasn't hesitating)

http://www.mediafire.com/?gc61d9wcq16k83x

http://www.mediafire.com/?7nmr9mu3sbsd708

You need to open the files in Excel

Quick Reply: Hesitation? Backfire?