General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car dies trying to start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dies trying to start?

Odd problem.

The car died while trying to start it today. It was maybe 95-100 degrees outside. Put the key in, normal beeps, everything. Try to start it and everything turns off. No lights, no beeps, nada. Then there is some clickclickclickclick noise that came. Popped the hood, fiddled with the battery, got back in the car. Put the key to on but not start. Volts low at maybe 10-11, try and start it again. Everything powers off. Fiddle with the battery, grab a wrench to tighten it up, try it again.

Same story.

So I grabbed my other car and tried jumping it. 5 minutes of charging. Get in the car, turn the key to on, lights and beeps. Try to start it and everything turns off again. Starter went maybe half a click. Turn the key back and again, and nothing. No lights, no beeps, nadda.

At that point I just left, because I was supposed to take the car and go on vacation but obviously the Trans Am didn't come with.

So I'm stumped. I don't know how old the battery is, but I'll replace it when I get back most likely.

Could be...starter?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loose or corroded connection. Probably the connections to the starter. Take 'em off, go over 'em with a good wire brush, and tighten 'em back down. Had the same problem with a 78 I was looking at buying.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Ok, connections...that would make sense. I'll look over all of those in detail when I get back.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Mine use to start and shut right off several times and it was the VATS key messing up
Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was a security problem, the lights, radio, etc., would still be coming on. It could also be a bad ignition switch, based on the symptoms.