General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How much damage can a bad lifter do??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default How much damage can a bad lifter do??

ok here is the deal I have a lifter failing in my ls3, it started off os a knock that went away on warm up few months ago I thought it was just something small like piston slap, well then it didnt go away on warm up and now it squeeks. I have already pulled the valve cover and checked all pushrods, rockers so I know its gotta be the lifter, I assume the squeek that started the other day is because the lifter is getting worse. I plan to put the car in the shop next week but I had planned to run at the drag strip this weekend.

I know I will need a lifter and more than likely a CAM, but what I dont want is this lifter cuasing me to have to have a whole new motor or dissasemble the bottom end.

how dangerouse would you say it would be to drive 30 miles to the track and make a few passes and then drive back?

These are link bar lifters so no chance of it falling down in the motor
Old 07-29-2012, 01:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lol well so mutch for advice I ran the hell out of it made about 10 passes cut my best time ever tonight and the noise actually went away LOL. so it comes back when cold but im just ganna let it ride until the motor is actually giving signs that its weak. i could be confusing it with piston slap so why worry, if I pull the oil filter and no metal then Im just ganna let it ride
Old 07-29-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a lifter go in Florida mid way through my vacation, drove it for 4 days still afterwards. I drove it back to Ottawa, Canada about 1500 miles. I drove it an additional 300 miles to a shop maybe 2000 miles total.

Swapped out cam and lifters.

Your mileage will vary. I also spun a rod bearing 5 months later.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

run it like hell ...then buy a new motor...

good luck....
Old 08-19-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got this same question but maybe more specific... I saw I had 2 failing lifters starting to eat the cam. Very soon I have important race. Question is, will debris from cam/lifters go to crankshaft bearings or not? If not, I can race no probs cause I will be replacing cam anyway.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do it.

You will end up spinning a bearing with the material contaminating your oil. High RPM running will destroy an already failing lifter.

Quick Reply: How much damage can a bad lifter do??