General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2001 Camaro LS1 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Camaro LS1 won't start

First off, good morning.

Anyone know what might be causing my car to not start with the following symptoms?

1. battery terminals are clean
2. radio, lights, etc., all come on
3. car makes a series of repeated clicks, like "tatatatatatatat....." and will not crank up
4. the SES light is flickering when the car is simply sitting still with the key engaged without trying to start the car
5. it sounds like something is clicking underneath the dash in addition to the above stated sound
6. all the guages go funky when trying to start the car, ie, they jump around and finally settle down when i stop trying to start the car
7. the "check gages" light is on for low fuel, but it just came on when i was driving home and was only driven about 12 miles after lighting up
8. optima battery that doesn't appear to be bad (even with a jump the car still makes the sound above)
9. the car beeps like crazy and after two seconds the speakers start making noise that matches the clicking of the car trying to start

Anyone got any ideas of where to start?

Last edited by hisjakeness; 08-12-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take the battery to autozone and get the battery tested. it might just be as simple as that
Old 08-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

it's an optima battery. i'll try that first and follow up here. thanks!
Old 08-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

pulled the battery, had it tested, found out it was bad. replaced the battery and i'm up and running!

I'm what you would call mechanically "un"inclined. thanks for your help ssick! an easy problem fixed because someone who knows more than me helped me out. this forum is great.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Optima batteries are terrible. The best batteries are the duralast brand at autozone, I always get their gold series with a 3 year warranty and I have never had a bad one

I went through 3 optima batteries in 4 months and would never recommend them to anyone
Old 08-16-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DURALAST are garbage too, at least the o ne I had...lasted ONE year! I use INTERSTATE or AC-DELCO.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Never had one, but id buy a DieHard off these commercials alone. The Extreme Heat one is impressive. As is the youtube one I attached - it used to be on the site but they removed it. Its the most entertaining.

http://www.diehard.com/torture-labs

Quick Reply: 2001 Camaro LS1 won't start