General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

c5 charge system fault no power steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c5 charge system fault no power steering

First off i would like to say i have been searching. But nothing similar to mine has come up. I also posted this in corvette forum

Started when i was just sitting there at idle with the ac on. charging system fault code popped up and i watched my vols go from 13.something to around 10. I thought hmm thats wierd.

so i drive it home because i was not far. ran fine but when i would go to turn i had no power steering.

first thing that came to mind was a belt had come off but nope the belt is there. tensioner seems fine, pops right back.

so i tried the old alternator test of pulling the positive cable from the battery while running and it died as soon as i did. I pulled the alternator to get it tested and to buy a new one but the test came back as being good....

im stumped. I will jack it up tomorrow and check all cables, I also bought a new cable to jump the battery to the alt and see if it will hold the charge

.........one last thing. the day after this happened i got home from work and started the car. voltage was good, p[ower steering was fine. i took it around the block to the corner store. turned it off. when i got back in the same thing as before. low voltage, no power steering

any help would be appreciated. school starts monday and we need both vehicles
Old 09-01-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the belt is slipping on the crank pulley....

Try this...with engine running, spray some water on the belt and see if it starts to slip on the crank pulley. If so, try a new belt. If that doesnt fix it I would replace the crank pulley.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

After a new alt and starter I figured out it was my ignition lol. Thank you though
Old 09-09-2012, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

You sir were correct. Bolt had backed off. I could almost pool it off the snout by hand. New balancer and bolt almost complete
Old 08-06-2013, 05:31 AM
Teching In

the same thing is going on with mine with the charge system fault, no power stering, belt seems to be off track one notch, i put a new pully on the crank when i had the engine built,

Quick Reply: c5 charge system fault no power steering