General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

TA won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 03:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA won't start

So I went to start my car the other day.. push in the clutch. . Turn the key and.. nothing. I thought at first it was my clutch switch on the pedal going bad.

The car started fine at first every couple times I'd push the clutch and turn the key but it would take a few trys.

I've since replaced the sensor on the clutch and it hasn't fixed a thing. Now its to the point that the only way to start it is to get it rolling and pop the clutch.

After that it runs just fine. No ses lights or security lights or anything. Any ideas? I don't know if its the starter because when it *does work * the starter cracks just fine.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Anything?
Old 08-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Ive got the same deal with my auto. Did you check fuses and relays? Does the manual have a saftey switch on the shifter? (does it start in neutral with the clutch out normaly)
I'm wondering if theres a fusible link somewhere. did you try arcing from the starter positive to the solenoid?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i had the same issue as you.... turn the key and the lights all came on but nothing happened then randomly the car would crank right over like normal.... ended up being the starter for me so thats where i would start. next time it does that tap the starter and solenoid ith a hammer and see if it cranks up then
Old 08-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Teching In

@jagscars I don't think the manuals have a switch on the shifter. I believe it is just the switch by the clutch. and no the car does not start with the clutch out normally. I'm going to check the starter after work today and see what happens
Old 08-26-2012, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like starter solenoid IMO
Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Got home.. cars been starting just fine. Kinda frustrating. Checked all the fuses and relays. All seem ok. Will look more into the starter.

Quick Reply: TA won't start