General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Holy crap!? - Disappearing coolant mystery!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The Stant radiator caps have the vacuum valve...

( otherwise the coolant in the overflow bottle would not get back into the cooling system as it cools down, and you would see the radiator hoses pucker up )
Old 09-18-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem. The radiator cap wasnt sealing properly. I ended up bending the tabs inside it slightly to add a little more sealing pressure. Worked great and cost nothing.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Well I'm about to throw in the towel... I pressure tested the cooling system and it is not holding pressure. Looses about 1 PSI every 3 minutes. Got home and let the car idle with the cap off... steady bubbles. Still no smoke out the exhaust. Could this be anything other than the head gasket?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Launching!

pull the plugs and do the coolant pressure test again is my thought...

had a lt1 in the other day that destroyed the head gasket/crack... but untill the plugs were pulled and we went to do a compression test did it actually show any signs of a bad head gasket other than low coolant...

the plugs will help keep the motor pressurized to resist the coolant leaking into the cylinders...

at least thats how i see it in my head...

perhaps read the plugs and see if there is a coolant stain or definate sign of water burning
Old 09-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm seeing a good excuse to buy a new expensive tool - a mechanic's borescope. (You might also be able to rent one.)

With a borescope, you can pressure test the system, remove the plugs, and then look in to the cylinders to see if there is any coolant pooling.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
Vehicle - 98 SS - Mods in sig.

So I'm loosing about a 1/5 liter of coolant every 100 miles or so. Been happening for about a month. I opened the radiator cap and idled it for about 20 minutes last night and I saw some bubbles after the thermostat opened. I suspected the head gastket blew at a coolant passage as there are no puddles under the car.

However there is no smoke coming from the exhaust and no coolant smell anywhere inside or out. The car does not overheat, misfire or drive poorly in any way. All the plugs look identical and are dry (none are steamed). No trouble codes.

I just performed a compression check and here are the results...

Cyl 1 - 180
Cyl 2 - 180
Cyl 3 - 185
Cyl 4 - 180
Cyl 5 - 188
Cyl 6 - 185
Cyl 7 - 185
Cyl 8 - 180

I will mention that I did the waterpump and thermostat a few months ago. I installed a new rad cap and nothing improved. I did a pressure test at 18lbs and it slowly looses pressure. Like 1 lb per hour but then holds pressure after it dropps a couple pounds
I almost feel like the coolant is escaping to the expansion tank and not getting drawn back thru to the radiator. Figured the cap would fix that.

Gimme some ideas guys.
There's a small metel tube going inside the overflow. Mine was ate up with holes in it. So when the radiator overflowed it was only sucking air back into the radiator when cooling. Stump me too for a while. Just pull up the battery. And yank the tube out. There hard to find. Just seal it somehow. I used epoxy. No more checking coolant. Just oil haha
Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by camhead2001
There's a small metel tube going inside the overflow. Mine was ate up with holes in it. So when the radiator overflowed it was only sucking air back into the radiator when cooling. Stump me too for a while. Just pull up the battery. And yank the tube out. There hard to find. Just seal it somehow. I used epoxy. No more checking coolant. Just oil haha
If you have a chemical in your coolant that is eating through an aluminum tube, you have bigger problems...
Old 09-21-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camhead2001
It's the constant bubbles in the Radiator thats telling me that this is a head gasket. Unless there's another way pressurized air can get in... I need to buy a DD anyway so I'll be taking my time on this one. Heads will come off and I'll get this repaired. Any tell tale signs to look for once the heads are off?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you suspect a compression leak, then use a block test kit to test for combustion gases in your coolant.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Save the manuals!

It's the constant bubbles in the Radiator thats telling me that this is a head gasket.
What is your ratio of water to coolant? Have you tested it? Do they happen when the engine is also cold. (Want to make sure the bubbles aren't water vapor from boiling water.)
Old 09-22-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by joecar
If you suspect a compression leak, then use a block test kit to test for combustion gases in your coolant.
Yeah, I'm testing for hydro carbons on Monday. After that I'll know if its a head gasket for sure.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
What is your ratio of water to coolant? Have you tested it? Do they happen when the engine is also cold. (Want to make sure the bubbles aren't water vapor from boiling water.)
Now thats a good suggestion... I havent checked but I know that I do have alot of water in there.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Now thats a good suggestion... I havent checked but I know that I do have alot of water in there.
Still, the coolant pressure test shows that I'm loosing pressure...
Old 09-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Save the manuals!

IMO - its still worth the $5 to get a coolant tester and see how you are doing. It would really suck to go change your head gaskets just to find out that you are 95% water and the bubbles are just water vapor boiling off....
Old 09-23-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
IMO - its still worth the $5 to get a coolant tester and see how you are doing. It would really suck to go change your head gaskets just to find out that you are 95% water and the bubbles are just water vapor boiling off....
Agreed...
Old 09-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Launching!

any updates?

Quick Reply: Holy crap!? - Disappearing coolant mystery!