General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How do you get the #8 wire back on easily?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do you get the #8 wire back on easily?

I just changed the spark plugs and wires on my 99 Z28. Using the Installunivesity link:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...g_and_wire.htm

I was able to do the driver's side in about thirty minutes - easy as pie. When I got to the passenger's side, it was again, not a big deal (other than the plugs were in too tight). Again, putting the plugs in was no problem, but problems came up when it was time to put the new wires back on.

I used new MSD wires and the first problem was trying to make sure the wires "clicked" on the plugs, especially since I reused the stock heat shields. Finally the worst problem was getting the #8 plug wire back on. Do you guys put the wire on the plug first or on the coil first? Did you leave the coil pack hanging or is it easier to mount it then put the wire on the coil? I finally got it back together but it was a real pain in the butt to do - I finally got it done when I did the plug first then coil but it literally took me several hours to get it figured out.

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 09-08-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't bother with the stock heat shields on my msd wires. No issues and I run headers. Those are probably what caused most of the grief.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm a small guy so i have small hands, no issue with any of the wires!

but i know you can get to it easily from under the car (with longtubes anyways).
Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

I have only done it from under the car reaching up. Done it with the wire dangling from the coil and brought the wire up from the bottom as well. Not as trivial as it seems!

Glad you got it figured out
Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As was posted above. Put it on from the bottom side. It is much easier.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put the wire on the plug, then slide the coil packs over and click it on the coil.....THEN install the coil packs...

Done!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NufNuffZ28
Put the wire on the plug, then slide the coil packs over and click it on the coil.....THEN install the coil packs...

Done!
who takes the coilpacks off to do a tuneup? i'd never.

i think his problem is getting the wire on the plug though not the coilpack.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lee12609

i think his problem is getting the wire on the plug though not the coilpack.
Its faster to remove the coil pack then to get your hand down there on both...
Old 09-11-2012, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

I disagree but there's always more than one way to skin a cat.

It takes me less than 30 minutes to do plugs in my car start to finish without removing anything.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Not sure why anyone would want to leave the coil rail in place. Once you get it off the first time, and delete that back bolt, future removals take only a few minutes. Once the rail is removed, all the plugs are super easy to access. I would never do this job with the rail in place on a '99+ car, as I don't have the hands or arms of a 12 year old. I also remove the AIR pipe on that side.

On my '98 I have left the coils in place because they don't remove on a nice easy one-piece rail like the '99+ do. Due to the lack of a rail, there is a bit more room to work around them though.

As for reinstallation, I always put the wires on the plugs first, then reattach the coil rail, then attach the wires to the coils. I use stock wires and stock heat shields.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

People who want to do the job easier that's who.

It is much easier with the coil pack off. You will spend less time taking the coil pack off than you will fighting trying to get past it.

As mentioned put the wire on the spark plug first then put the coil on. Use a little dielectric grease too.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dang that guy says 8 hours for a plug and wire change?

A one armed monkey with downsyndrome can do the job faster than that...
Old 09-12-2012, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

ah ****, just realized i'm used to my 98 without rail mounts, must be why i was like WTF why go through all that. also no EGR or AIR on my car.

and i have the arms and hands of a 12yr old (a small 12yr old) i'm only 125ish lbs.

i imagine taking a couple bolts off and removing all the coils at once isnt a big deal. i also put the wire on the plug then snap it on the coil aswell, letting the wire feed in with my tiny arm as i snap it on the PITA back plug.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

OP - Well I ordered the NGK TR55s and MSD wire package and did my spark plug change this weekend. What a complete PITA. Like you, the driver's side was pretty quick and easy to get too. However, once I got to the passenger side, OMG, what a bitch!! My hands and arms are cut to shreads and it took hours and hours to get them done. I tried both ways for #8 plug - first putting the plug wire on the plug first then on the coil and vice versa. Seemed to be easier putting the wire on the plug first then sliding the coil rail into place at an angle and then putting the wire on the coil. Used this method for all four plugs on that side. Now that I have done it once, I think future changes will be a lot easier and take a lot less time. I removed the A.I.R line and the coil rail from the valve cover to access the plugs on the driver's side as it was virtually impossible for me to reach the plugs without removing these two items.

Originally Posted by WS.SIX
I don't bother with the stock heat shields on my msd wires. No issues and I run headers. Those are probably what caused most of the grief.
Yeah, I didn't reuse the stock heat shields on the MSD wires either. Not sure these would have made installation of the plugs and wires back onto the coils any harder or not.

Done!
Yes, this method seemed to work easier for me. Thanks!

Its faster to remove the coil pack then to get your hand down there on both...
I agree 100%. Much easier with the coil rail/pack out of the way.

I disagree but there's always more than one way to skin a cat.

It takes me less than 30 minutes to do plugs in my car start to finish without removing anything.
Dammnnn! I would pay money to see this done. lol

Originally Posted by redtan
Dang that guy says 8 hours for a plug and wire change?

A one armed monkey with downsyndrome can do the job faster than that...
Lack of experience for me was the culprit and fat arms and short reach. Again, the driver's side was a piece of cake but the passenger side essentially has no room for working. Combine that with larger hands and arms and it just takes more time.

Thanks to all on this forum who provided insight on this maintenance procedure. Appreciate all the discussion and comments!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Glad my thread helped a little. I don't drive my car much so I'll probably not have to change the plugs again for several years, but hopefully it will go a lot smoother than the first time.

Quick Reply: How do you get the #8 wire back on easily?