General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Clutch Bearing Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Clutch Bearing Replacement?

Anyone know how to get the clutch and pulley off in order to put the bearing in? Its on a 2002 Trans am WS6
Old 09-26-2012, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes , you remove the belt then the center bolt then using the correct puller ,,,,,probably Autozone free tool rental pull the clutch assembly , then remove the large snap ring and using a large socket or something metal and solid just smaller than the bearing ,,,,,pound out the old 1 ,,,,,,,,reverse to install .
Old 09-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
Yes , you remove the belt then the center bolt then using the correct puller ,,,,,probably Autozone free tool rental pull the clutch assembly , then remove the large snap ring and using a large socket or something metal and solid just smaller than the bearing ,,,,,pound out the old 1 ,,,,,,,,reverse to install .
I did all of this but broke two autozone pullers. I work at autozone and noone can figure out what I'm doing wrong. I watched a video on it and they used a screwdriver to pry off the front clutch plate (very thin) and used a puller. I was going to ice pack the one inside and slide it out and am going to freeze the new one to make it smaller and easy to slide in.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with a rebuilt compressor, assume you are working on this still mounted in the car? You might go ahead and unbolt it and be able to get a different angle on it, but at the point of breaking two pullers I would punt and buy the compressor.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3Camaros
I would go with a rebuilt compressor, assume you are working on this still mounted in the car? You might go ahead and unbolt it and be able to get a different angle on it, but at the point of breaking two pullers I would punt and buy the compressor.
unfortunately for me and this forum, I'm too stubborn to just let this go. I want to know how to fix this
Old 09-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Launching!

bump for a better answer
Old 09-27-2012, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

I changed my A/C Clutch plate and found this thread useful. I used the same AZ OE kits shown in the pictures. If you have not seen it, I bet it will help, post #25 is the start of the good info.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-clutch-2.html

Quick Reply: A/C Clutch Bearing Replacement?