General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tune Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune Up

Hello my fellow gear heads! I just recently moved from a LT1 Camaro to a LS1 TA

Bought the car with 108k on it and i plan on a tune up here soon. So i have a few questions/opinions for you all!

Oil? Would you recommend Pennzoil or Royal Purple. also what kind? I used a 5w30 in the LT1 my car didnt come with the owners manual :c

Spark Plugs??? Im in a debate with myself right now, Iridium or Platinum?

I would love to hear every ones opinions on the spark plugs and oil!

-Blazer
Old 10-05-2012, 03:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Mobil 1 full syn 5w30 with the larger filter (206 I think it is), NGK TR55IX plugs and MSD 8.5mm wires.

You will get as many opinions as there are people on here for the oil. I would suggest checking out Bob is the oil guy website for some research but in my opinion pick your favorite brand of full synth and you will be fine.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for plugs i second TR55IX, it's basically a one-time buy so the extra $20-30 for the set of plugs is reasonable.
if you do go over to boboilguy website be a little weary, it's not that great.
i would not waste your money on a synthetic or boutique oil such as royal purple.
I would make an oil choice depending on your climate and what the motor gets for oil pressure now. if your in the southwest or during the summer i would use a 15w-40 or 10w-40 oil, if you're driving the car in the winter and it sees cold starts at ambient temps below ~45F then use a 5w-30. if your in stop&go traffic a lot in hot weather then use a 40 weight oil, or if you only get 40psi oil pressure over 2000 rpms and pressure drops to 20 psi or lower around idle. if you're in real cold weather then i would consider an off the shelf "synthetic".
Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you guys! i think i will go with the TR55IX and im still not sure on oil yet :/

I live in Central Oklahoma, were the climate is as bipolor as a small child on candy lol

im thinking of going with Pennzoil Platnum Full Synthetic, i use it in my 02' s10 and havnt had any problems yet. but i have heard reviews good and horrible from RP. Some say it is one of the worst oils, then i have heared that its great for high RPM's and warmer climates.. i want the best protection for my car, price isnt an issue when it comes to oil/filter/and ignition
Old 10-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mista Blazer
Hello my fellow gear heads! I just recently moved from a LT1 Camaro to a LS1 TA

Bought the car with 108k on it and i plan on a tune up here soon. So i have a few questions/opinions for you all!

Oil? Would you recommend Pennzoil or Royal Purple. also what kind? I used a 5w30 in the LT1 my car didnt come with the owners manual :c

Spark Plugs??? Im in a debate with myself right now, Iridium or Platinum?

I would love to hear every ones opinions on the spark plugs and oil!

-Blazer
I run Pennzoil because it's very good bang for your buck. My buddy runs engine tests all day at work, and speaks very highly of Pennzoil. Royal Purple is great oil, but a bit pricey.
Originally Posted by Decadence75
I use Mobil 1 full syn 5w30 with the larger filter (206 I think it is), NGK TR55IX plugs and MSD 8.5mm wires.

You will get as many opinions as there are people on here for the oil. I would suggest checking out Bob is the oil guy website for some research but in my opinion pick your favorite brand of full synth and you will be fine.
I put the OE ACDelco plugs in my bird when I did a tune up. Are the NGKs much better than the Delcos in your opinion? I used to run NGKs in my old Yota MR2 and currently do in my Mazda beater, but I figured Delcos would be the best for a GM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bird.is.Word
I run Pennzoil because it's very good bang for your buck. My buddy runs engine tests all day at work, and speaks very highly of Pennzoil. Royal Purple is great oil, but a bit pricey.

I put the OE ACDelco plugs in my bird when I did a tune up. Are the NGKs much better than the Delcos in your opinion? I used to run NGKs in my old Yota MR2 and currently do in my Mazda beater, but I figured Delcos would be the best for a GM.
I think I may use Delco, I just hate picking lol its like Bosch, NGK, or Delco

I use delco oil filters in my S10. But I have never had to change the plugs in the s10 yet, only at 60k but I know the time is coming lol

And I think I'm sold on the Pennzoil.

Now another question would be, what's with all the flavors? Like high millage, ect..
Or would the simple Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic be fine since I'm only at 109,000miles
Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bird.is.Word
It's not so much as NGK vs Delco as much as it is the material they are made of. If you run an iridium plug then it will dissipate heat quicker and give your plug a much longer life span than any other normal plug would. If Delco makes an iridium plug for cheaper than NGK then go for it.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Decadence75
It's not so much as NGK vs Delco as much as it is the material they are made of. If you run an iridium plug then it will dissipate heat quicker and give your plug a much longer life span than any other normal plug would. If Delco makes an iridium plug for cheaper than NGK then go for it.
If i find them Cheaper then i will go with them.

Thanks guys for all the help!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

I just did a tune up on my car. I went with an AC/Delco filter. As far as oil, after a lot of research (reading threads in this forum), I just went with the cheapest, name-brand oil, in 5w30 non-synthetic - I used Pennzoil. As far as the plugs, again, many people in this forum prefer the NGK, and a site sponsor has a good deal on NGK plugs and MSD wires for $75. I went with the non-iridium NGKs. Make sure the gap is correct - I think i went with a .55 gap. Some people go as high as .60, as low as .50. I just split the difference. There are heat shields that go over the plugs - some people just leave them off with the MSD wires, some put them on. I put them back on but it made making sure the wires were properly connected much harder. If I had to do it again, I'd probably leave them off.

Going from a LT1 to a LS1, you're going to find changing the plugs MUCH easier than on the LT1, especially the wires. The #8 plug in the LS1 is almost as bad as in the LT1 but it can be done from the top.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So you say that the plugs are easier on the LS1 than it is on the LT1? unfortenly i never got to change the plugs on mine before i got t-boned by a drunk driver :/ only had the car for a year
Old 10-06-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Rp 5w 30 on my independent tests ive showed mpg increases, good enough for me, and ive been running tbe ngk tr55 plugs, as i wouldnt trust any plug for 100k miles anyways, i go about 30 on my changes regardless of plug brand or material type.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

So you say that the plugs are easier on the LS1 than it is on the LT1? unfortenly i never got to change the plugs on mine before i got t-boned by a drunk driver :/ only had the car for a year
Yup. Especially 1 through 7, which you should be able to do in about a couple of hours. The driver's side really can be done in thirty minutes. The passenger side takes longer because you have to take off the EGR tube and the coil packs for clearance. Like I said, 8 is a bitch but can be done from the top.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Yup. Especially 1 through 7, which you should be able to do in about a couple of hours. The driver's side really can be done in thirty minutes. The passenger side takes longer because you have to take off the EGR tube and the coil packs for clearance. Like I said, 8 is a bitch but can be done from the top.
AWESOME! that is really good to know, thanks for the information! it is greatly appreciated
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I use Mobil 1 5-30wt full synthetic oil and the original equipment AC Delco Irridium plugs, but a lot of people have good results with other choices. I am still a 'mostly stock' guy.

However, I would not put a Bosch spark plug in my ******* lawn mower!

You asked for opinions.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ghardester
I use Mobil 1 5-30wt full synthetic oil and the original equipment AC Delco Irridium plugs, but a lot of people have good results with other choices. I am still a 'mostly stock' guy.

However, I would not put a Bosch spark plug in my ******* lawn mower!

You asked for opinions.
might i ask why you dont choose Bosch?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

might i ask why you dont choose Bosch?
I had nothing but trouble with them back when I was building VW air cooled engines. They were supposed to be just the thing and were heavily marketed.

I came to the conclusion that it was just that, marketing, and when I ceased using them the problems went away.

Your results may vary.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ghardester
I had nothing but trouble with them back when I was building VW air cooled engines. They were supposed to be just the thing and were heavily marketed.

I came to the conclusion that it was just that, marketing, and when I ceased using them the problems went away.

Your results may vary.
I may lean against them just because I.have never used the brand, I thought they were worth it. My uncle Erin Tatum is a NHRA champion and he was talking about bosch, yet I wasn't really paying attention to his "war stories" that everyone has herd xD

Quick Reply: Tune Up