General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Won't Turnover!! AGAIN!! (VATS Bypassed) EDIT: VIDEO!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try to find out if power to the dash lights and ignition is controlled by the bcm, before u go buy one
Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

This thread seems to go with my subject.. As Whitebird said, the BCM will disable the ground to the starter relay. I wonder if the dash lights are a part of this as well. I will keep searching until I find exactly whats going on and report back.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ed-dealer.html
Old 10-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem as well where all the lights came on but car didn't do anything (such as yours). It turned out to be the starter. It was getting hung up and a little tap with a hammer and it always started right on up. Replacing the starter only took me 45 minutes and never had the problem since then.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lil_Wyvern
I had the same problem as well where all the lights came on but car didn't do anything (such as yours). It turned out to be the starter. It was getting hung up and a little tap with a hammer and it always started right on up. Replacing the starter only took me 45 minutes and never had the problem since then.
I replaced the starter this summer. Plus, my dash DOES NOT come on at all.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mesterious
This thread seems to go with my subject.. As Whitebird said, the BCM will disable the ground to the starter relay. I wonder if the dash lights are a part of this as well. I will keep searching until I find exactly whats going on and report back.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ed-dealer.html

I would think, If the BCM was disabling your Ignition, your security light would be on, could be wrong though.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From the video, when you turn the key to 'On' your guages are not working either

The ignition switch sits on the top of your steering column and is connected by a little arm to your key ignition barell. When you turn your key to different positions the switch moves back and forth and it controls what stuff gets power depending on what position the key is in.

it looks to me like the last leg of the switch is burned up and its not telling you have your key pushed all the way forward. You could pull the wire harness plug off of it and see if it has black scorch marks on it, thats how mine was anyway.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike171562
From the video, when you turn the key to 'On' your guages are not working either

The ignition switch sits on the top of your steering column and is connected by a little arm to your key ignition barell. When you turn your key to different positions the switch moves back and forth and it controls what stuff gets power depending on what position the key is in.

it looks to me like the last leg of the switch is burned up and its not telling you have your key pushed all the way forward. You could pull the wire harness plug off of it and see if it has black scorch marks on it, thats how mine was anyway.
aaah ok now that makes since! I got a buddy of mine that works at a local parts store to order me a ignition switch that will be here this afternoon, but I will check it first. If it does have the scorch marks I need to replace the switch not the harness right?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes just the switch unless the harness is really bad.

You dont have to remove the wheel, I was able to reach it by dropping the steering column down until it almost rested on the seat.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm assuming that since you've already bypassed the vats, that you've had issues with it starting before??? If so, I would lean more towards a bad bcm.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KevinR
I'm assuming that since you've already bypassed the vats, that you've had issues with it starting before??? If so, I would lean more towards a bad bcm.
Two times actually. Vats the first time then my starter solenoid so this would be number three. I was told by Whitebird00 that it's not the BCM cause the air conditioner, radio, ect... works which is controlled by the BCM so only thing left is the ignition switch hopefully....
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Alright, so I changed the iginition switch and nothing.. I did change the passenger side fender and front bumper out on my car before it started doing this. Is there any grounds or anything that could keep it from starting around there? Or is it just the BCM? Any ideas anyone??
Old 10-12-2012, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

PROBLEM SOLVED thanks to mike171562. It ended up being the Gauge FUSE.... Yes, that simple. Thanks for the help everybody.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

lol man i glad you got it fixed.. one more f-body back on the road

Quick Reply: Won't Turnover!! AGAIN!! (VATS Bypassed) EDIT: VIDEO!