General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car cranks, but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cranks, but won't start

Hey guys,

So I just installed an LS6 intake manifold on my 98 TransAm. While I was at it, removed the EGR/AIR and sent my PCM to pcmforless to get those things tuned out. I also installed an oil catch can to keep the new manifold clean. The car was off for about two weeks, with the battery unplugged. I received the reprogrammed PCM today and installed it. When I turn the key, the dash lights up, but the mileage screen is blank (no numbers, only the backlight comes on). The car cranks, but won't start. I checked the fuel rails and they are not getting any fuel. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on here, could any of this somehow affect the fuel pump? (on a side note, the fuel pump is fairly new, maybe a year or two old) The car functioned flawlessly before any of this took place. Thanks for the help.

UPDATE: I checked the voltage going across the fuel pump fuse with the key in the on position and it was 0. So that leads me to believe something is preventing the fuel pump from triggering.

Last edited by Atrus; 10-25-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Teching In

I just got a reply from PCMFORLESS. They said the fuel pressure is held by the regulator, so the programming does not involve the fuel pump. So I am back to square one. Anyone have any ideas for me? What could have changed with the egr/air removal and manifold swap to cause the fuel pump to not power up?

Last edited by Atrus; 10-27-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few grounds on the back of driver's side head. Make sure you didn't break one off while swapping out the intake.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:48 AM
Teching In

Dude...lt1pwr1...you are my hero! That was it. One of the wires had broken off during the swap. Now she powers up with no problems. It would have taken forever to figure that out on my own, hidden away back there. Thank you so much!!!

Quick Reply: Car cranks, but won't start