General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil or trans fluid in my coolant

Old 11-03-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil or trans fluid in my coolant

I have a 98 firebird v6 3.6 and need some advice. There is either trans fluid or oil in my coolant I need to know how I can tell which one it is. Checked oil it is at its normal level and it looks fine not watered down no milky color or bubbles. I checked the trans fluid and it also is at its normal level and is very dark but not milky. Car does not seem to be smoking and engine runs fairly well does not seem rough like I would think it would with a bad head gasket. I am loosing coolant but cant tell where. Obviously I am hoping that it is trans fluid meaning a bad trans cooler I think (much better than if its a bad head gasket) Please help! How can I figure out what is actually wrong?
Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it have an oil cooler in the radiator or just a tranny cooler? One of them could be leaking into the antifreeze in the radiator. You can buy a test kit to check the antifreeze for combustion gases.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your gaskets on the tranny cooler inside the radiator are probably going bad. Coolant and tranny fluid are swapping places and both coolant and tranny fluid can be getting contaminated with the other fluid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil or trans fluid in my coolant