General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Will New Battery = More power?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Will New Battery = More power?

I have a battery that I know is going bad. All the research I have done on the forum tells me I need a new battery. The main symptom is the car constantly pegs all the instruments in the gauge cluster and resets my odometer on startup ALMOST every time. I have also noticed a loss in acceleration lately. I know that could be a multitude of things that could cause that, but could a new battery essentially restore any lost hp? I just want to know in case I get the placebo effect of swapping a new battery in, is it possible? Would it be noticeable? Thanks!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Teching In

It will not exactly increase HP but bring your car's power level back to normal which could seem like an increase to you.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick D
could a new battery essentially restore any lost hp?
No. (Unless you have a secret F-Body electrical hybrid conversion that no one knows about.) The only thing the battery really does is crank the car at start-up. Once the engine is on, the electrical power comes from the alternator.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Actually your instrument cluster panel could be going out since your gauges are going crazy. I've heard it's common on 1999 models.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
No. (Unless you have a secret F-Body electrical hybrid conversion that no one knows about.) The only thing the battery really does is crank the car at start-up. Once the engine is on, the electrical power comes from the alternator.
+1 After starting the car, you could theoretically remove the battery and it would still run. The Alternator taks it from there.

Quick Reply: Will New Battery = More power?