General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ECT sensor bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECT sensor bad

My car is giving code for ECT sensor low input (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor). Also the temperature is going up and down. How hard is it to replace the ect sensor. Is it expensive part or not.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

It is easy to swap. Just make sure you get the correct one for your model year. Maybe you should tell us which car you have so we can assist you further?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Its a 2000 ss australian caprice. ls1
Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

More than likely the temp sensor is in the driver's side cylinder head and is the "two-wire" version. Is takes a 19mm (or 3/4") wrench to remove it. Just buy a replacement sensor and change it when the engine is cold. A little bit of coolant will come out but nothing major. Just verify whether it is the two-wire or three-wire before buying a new sensor.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks I looked at it and yea its on the driver side and two wire sensor. I figured out the problem. The wire coating near the connector plug was melted and the two wires were touching each other. How can they melt at the plug? I also noticed the head of the sensor was broken. Does the ECT sensor leak? Anyway I coated the wires with tape and put it back in the sensor and now the car runs normal again and much better. I went to the local repair parts shop and they were out of stock for the sensor. So I will get a new sensor when I go to the city. Thanks alot.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you got it sorted out. Eventually the black plastic gets brittle from heat and will break. As long as it isn't leaking and still connected it should work ok.

Quick Reply: ECT sensor bad