General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Changed thermostat now car won't start, Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed thermostat now car won't start, Help?

Hello guys, I need some help..

The first thing that went wrong was my car started to overheat a little one day coming home from work. Nothing major just the temp gauge started fluctuating so I turned the heater on full-blast and it evened out. The next morning when I was headed to work it did it again only this time the heater trick didn't work and it just steadily climbed to get the engine hot. I immediately pulled over and let it cool down. After cool down, I drove it home and changed the thermostat (bc the boiling pot of water test showed that mine had only opened up a crack and the new one opened way more).

Now here is where I don't understand... I only changed the thermostat, but when I tried to start the car it wouldn't even try to turn over. I thought the battery was dead and actually got a free replacement from Walmart, but the car still won't start! I checked the starter and it is good as well, any ideas?

Another thing I noticed is a small oil leak that looks like it is coming from around the oil filter. I tightened some bolts so maybe that will fix this issue.. but does anyone know why just changing the thermostat could not make the car start at all??

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Nothing about changing the t-stat specifically would cause the engine to not start.

Did you take anything else apart, or disconnect anything else? You might want to re-trace the steps you took in the engine bay and make sure that there isn't something you may have forgotten about.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

I'm pretty positive I didn't take anything else off, I mean the whole job took about 30 minutes.

Now that I think about it, when I was breaking loose one of the bolts to the T-stat housing I put my knee up on the engine bay area and my car alarm went off. My keys were in my pocket so I thought I just tripped the panic button, So I just hit it again to shut it up.

Could that have anything to do with not starting? I noticed my security light on the gauge is blinking about every 2 seconds when the key is on, that normal?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe you triggered a kill switch ?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Did you ever figure this out? Weird
Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

Hey guys sorry for delay... I did find out what was wrong though!

I ended up taking it to a mechanic and turns out that there was a broken ignition wire that coincidentally broke when I tried to start after I put on my thermostat.

The broken ignition wire had tripped the security system and shut down the fuel pump and starter.

Quick Reply: Changed thermostat now car won't start, Help?