General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Moisture in fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moisture in fuel

Hey I was just wondering how some of you guys that are located in colder climates that leave your cars outside in winter months, deal with things such as moisture in the tank causing back firing and sputtering issues? Anything you would recommend placing in it to keep it out? Everyone told me to just use injector cleaner and it will clear it up. Just wondering if there is anything I can do while it sits for a couple months waiting on warm weather now. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Keep the tank full and put Stabil in the gas. That's what I always do for out door OR indoor storage, and I never have backfiring/sputtering/etc. issues of any kind.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome thanks man! Any particular products from stabil that you use??
Old 12-06-2012, 03:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had a jet boat with twin 15 gal tanks I would put in 1/2 cup of methylated spirits in each tank which would dispel any water then fill tank with petrol.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by purplehays4
Awesome thanks man! Any particular products from stabil that you use??
I believe that Stabil only makes one product that is a gasoline stablizer, and that is the one I use.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Banned

You have closed fuel system.....no water moisture etc can get in UNLESS its in the fuel you are buying.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Camaroo1
You have closed fuel system.....no water moisture etc can get in UNLESS its in the fuel you are buying.
The tank is sealed but not under a constant/complete vacuum after engine shut down, so unless you have the tank filled to the very top of the fill neck, then there will be some amount of moisture in the air that's in the tank.

The more full you can keep the tank, the better.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Banned

BS its a sealed system!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah it's a sealed system, sealed enough to where there is no inflow or outflow of air/fumes so you will not get moisture in the tank. plus if you're area is selling 10% ethanol gas the ethanol works the same as drygas and cause any water to mix with the gasoline and burn with little issue. I've had my 2002 ss since new and it sit albeit in my garage from december till may and i've not used anything in the gas for the past 10 years and have never had a fuel issue. I'm not a big fan of stabil, have used it in the boats with carburetors and have seen firsthand rust and pitting still happen inside the carb bowl even when (ethanoled) gas was treated with stabil. my recommendation is run your tank to below a 1/4 before storage, then when you get back on the road you're going to fill up with fresh gas.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

BS its a sealed system!
No. The tank is sealed and slightly pressurized only while the engine is running and for a short period after the engine has been turned off. Go out to your car first thing in the morning and remove the gas cap. Hear any hiss of air being drawn in or pushed out? Of course you don't, the system is not sealed or pressurized, the air in the tank has equalized to the pressure of the outside air.

The air in a less than full tank contains moisture. For a car that is parked outside in the weather this air in the tank, and the tank itself, will go through many cycles of warming and cooling as the temperature outside changes.

This warming and cooling will condense water out of the air and deposit it in the bottom of the gas tank.

Each time the air warms up it will expand, driving some of the air out of the tank, and when it cools again the air contracts and draws in new air with new moisture.

Keeping the tank full of fuel eliminates the air space and the problem.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've had the tank filled full and it still seems to get this problem sometimes in the winter, it has done it the past 2 winters now and clears up once I drive the ***** off it a few times, then it's fine from there own out, guess I need to just start it more often and let it run over the winter. Placed some stabil in it this weekend so I'm gonna try to dive it around and get it moving in the fuel system. Hope it helps!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad I didn't waste my time giving you good advice.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:08 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

BS its a sealed system!
I'm sorry, but this is incorrect.

You are misunderstanding how the EVAP system works. The tank can never be 100% sealed at all times, because air must somehow be allowed to replace the fuel that is consumed by the engine, otherwise vacuum would eventually collapse the tank. There is a vent system to allow air to be brought into the tank. This air contains moisture (unless outside humidity is at 0%).

The system is sealed only in the respect that it does not vent fuel vapor to the outside, but it does draw outside air into the tank as needed.

Originally Posted by ghardester
The air in a less than full tank contains moisture. For a car that is parked outside in the weather this air in the tank, and the tank itself, will go through many cycles of warming and cooling as the temperature outside changes.

This warming and cooling will condense water out of the air and deposit it in the bottom of the gas tank.
This is exactly correct.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OP, Seafoam will also do the trick, it will be able to remove the moisture that is in the tank (by breaking down the chemical bond of H2O) and it will also stabilize the fuel up to 2 years.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
Glad I didn't waste my time giving you good advice.
You also live in New Zealand bud, none if that **** you mention around here. So take ur smart *** response and stay out of my thread! Thanks!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by purplehays4
You also live in New Zealand bud, none if that **** you mention around here. So take ur smart *** response and stay out of my thread! Thanks!
Google says you have it there as denatured alcohol, rite aid, cvs, drug stores. amazing what you can find when you are not an arrogant *******
Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 AM

Fill the tank to the top of the fill neck. I also do the same.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
Google says you have it there as denatured alcohol, rite aid, cvs, drug stores. amazing what you can find when you are not an arrogant *******
Yea, I believe I'll stick to what everyone else is saying....douche. Amazing how hard *** people become on forums...smh
Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Banned

BS its SEALED SYSTEM..............AINt no air getting in or our except when you open the gas cap or run the engine AND then its only going to vent to the engine.

ANY OTHER ANSWER IS COMPLETE BS!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

BS its SEALED SYSTEM..............
I'm sorry, but it seems that you may still be a bit confused as to how the EVAP system works. The tank can never be 100% sealed at all times, because air must somehow be allowed to replace the fuel that is consumed by the engine, otherwise vacuum would eventually collapse the tank. There is a vent system to allow air to be brought into the tank. This air contains moisture (unless outside humidity is at 0%). The system is sealed only in the respect that it does not vent fuel vapor to the outside, but it does draw outside air into the tank as needed.

AINt no air getting in or our except when you open the gas cap or run the engine AND then its only going to vent to the engine.
This is correct. And the air that gets into the tank when you open the gas cap or run the engine contains whatever moisture is present in the outside air at that time. That moisture is then in the tank. It does not simply disappear. Then, the following happens:

Originally Posted by ghardester

Quick Reply: Moisture in fuel