General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water Pump Leaking From Front

Old 12-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Leaking From Front

Just want to know if there is a seal that goes on the front cover of the pump. No coolant leaking from the weep hole so the pump is actually still good. The pump has a very small leak I would hate to have to replace it because of it.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The weep hole is where they usually leak from when the internal seal fails. Maybe you have a leaky water pump gasket.

The pump will always pump coolant, regardless of what happens to the seals or how much they leak.

If the weep hole is leaking, it usually will not stop. Gotta replace it. If its a gasket, you better replace them before it blows bad and sprays coolant out fast, not just a drip.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
The weep hole is where they usually leak from when the internal seal fails. Maybe you have a leaky water pump gasket.

The pump will always pump coolant, regardless of what happens to the seals or how much they leak.

If the weep hole is leaking, it usually will not stop. Gotta replace it. If its a gasket, you better replace them before it blows bad and sprays coolant out fast, not just a drip.

I know how a water pump works, and like I said its not leaking from the hole. There is a cover in front of the pump, that is where the leak is. I'm asking if there is some kind of O-ring or gasket that I can buy to replace the current one that is on the pump because I can't find one. The water pump gasket is not leaking.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Seal is internal. If its leaking you need a new pump.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Launching!

I had to replace mine 2 times in same day. First unit I got had a wobble in the pulley. Found out after replacing and test driving the car. Lesson learned! Spin the pulley and make sure your replacement pump is good.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Launching!

water pump has internal seal and two gasket/seals for the water jackets
Old 12-24-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil424
There is a cover in front of the pump, that is where the leak is.
A cover on the front of the pump? Do you have an LT1?

Next time, if you're asking for advice on your car on LS1Tech, and it doesn't have an LS1, at least include that in your post!!!!!!!!

And your hood is ugly.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
A cover on the front of the pump? Do you have an LT1?

Next time, if you're asking for advice on your car on LS1Tech, and it doesn't have an LS1, at least include that in your post!!!!!!!!

And your hood is ugly.
I'm sure people can tell that the car in my pic is not a 98 or above due to the lights. I have an ugly hood? Thanks dude I hope that makes you feel better. So where are the pics of your cars?
Old 12-25-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Phil424
I'm sure people can tell that the car in my pic is not a 98 or above due to the lights. I have an ugly hood? Thanks dude I hope that makes you feel better. So where are the pics of your cars?
Never mind the ******** dude.. They're a dime a dozen...

But we should have asked originally. Post a signature so it will help with further questions.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Never mind the ******** dude.. They're a dime a dozen...

But we should have asked originally. Post a signature so it will help with further questions.
Yeah I really figured people would see the pic or check my profile. I was pissed off when I started the thread because I went to 2 auto parts stores and both people at parts didn't know what a 97 trans am was so of course they had no idea what I was talking about with the water pump. I ended up buying a new pump that I have yet to put in because of the cold weather.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Launching!

I had this issue when I first got my trans am the dealer put stop leak in it to keep it from dripping till after I had gotten it home I just went to Autozone and replaced the whole thing the gaskets were metal and rubber the replacements were cork I think....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water Pump Leaking From Front