General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Strange clunk...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange clunk...

I just had an S60 and new driveshaft installed. Since the install (done by pros, not me), there has been a loud thinking from the driver's side just over the wheel well. It sounds like something is loose or swinging around, either under the car or in the body. I can't reproduce it from a standstill, and it doesn't happen at highway speeds. Just around the city, over uneven road or speed bumps, there's a huge thunk when i go over bumps.

Any thoughts? What should I look for? Is something loose, or do I have to tear up the trim and see if something is literally rolling around inside the body?

What would be loose underneath that would cause this?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Strut bar bushings mine did the same thing on the rear right wheel check your suspension to make sure everything was tightened properly and replace your strut bushings and see if that helps
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Teching In

If you drive slowly (15-20mph) and cut the wheel back and forth quickly to get the body to rock back and forth and you hear the clunking it is most likely the sway bar links or possibly bushings. You can grab a pry bar and try to slide the sway bar back and forth....if it moves easily or moves very much it's probably the bushings. If the noise is higher up or it does not happen when you swerve back and forth it could be a strut mount or strut mount bearing going bad. They can make more of a rattle than a single clunk going over bumps too.

Quick Reply: Strange clunk...