General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Windshield Seal Broken - It's supposed to rain tomorrow!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Windshield Seal Broken - It's supposed to rain tomorrow!!

I noticed that my Trans Am's driver's and passenger's side windshield seals have come off of the glass. These are the vertical seals that run up the edges of the windshield. How do I fix this? There some kind of special glue or somthing? (What's it called?)
The seals are still there, but there is a big gap between the windshield and the seal/trim.
Thanks!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They are not seals...they are for looks. The rain won't get in.

You need to get some urethane, clean the old glue off those strips and off the edge of the glass where they mount......then urethane them back on. Use masking tape to hold them in place for 24 hours. Then pull the tape off slowly.

Glass place should only charge you like $15.00 a side to fix it. I wouldn't pay them more than that. I fixed my own after my car was about 12 years old....they started to come off.

I bought a tube of urethane from an auto glass shop for $7.00 and did it myself.

Last edited by LS6427; 12-13-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
They are not seals...they are for looks. The rain won't get in.

You need to get some urethane, clean the old glue off those strips and off the edge of the glass where they mount......then urethane them back on. Use masking tape to hold them in place for 24 hours. Then pull the tape off slowly.

Glass place should only charge you like $15.00 a side to fix it. I wouldn't pay them more than that. I fixed my own after my car was about 12 years old....they started to come off.

I bought a tube of urethane from an auto glass shop for $7.00 and did it myself.

Sweet! I went out a took a closer look at it and suspected what you said about not actually sealing. Thanks for the confirmation! I'll see if Autozone or whoever has the urethane, otherwise I'll just take it to a shop so they don't fly off on the freeway...
Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by big_g
Sweet! I went out a took a closer look at it and suspected what you said about not actually sealing. Thanks for the confirmation! I'll see if Autozone or whoever has the urethane, otherwise I'll just take it to a shop so they don't fly off on the freeway...
Just call an auto glass shop, they'll sell you one tube for like $7-$10

One tube is enough to install 3-4 windshields. Its a very easy fix. It can get messy if you rush it though. Just squeeze it slowly and put a small bead of urethane in the track of each black strip and then push it on and get it lined up and set where you want it, then tape it down.

Oh, you'll need a gun to put the urethane tube in. They probably cost $5.00 at Home Depot.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what you are gonna want do is take it to a shop ...i work at a auto glass place in town

anytime there is a lose molding that comes in ...we usually do it for free ..it only takes about 3 mins total
if they tape the molding down leave the tape in place for a 3 hours to make sure the urethane sets up properly
Old 12-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's the best place to get those moldings at? I need them for the front window and rear window on my 93 firebird, car was recently painted and I was forced to remove them due to ease of prep.

Quick Reply: Windshield Seal Broken - It's supposed to rain tomorrow!!