General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mass air flow question???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass air flow question???

i recently replace my mass airflow sensor the one i took off had a screen on it the new one i put on did not, with this make my car run lean?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Veteran

No. The screen serves as a flow straightener to be sure that the sensor reads accurately.

If the MAF's are identical, you can poke the screen out from the other end and re-install it on the new one. You could leave it out if you wanted to, but most will advise to re-install it.

For more info on flow straighteners, see here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ighteners.html
Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

The screen in your application is probably not a restriction and like what was said it serves to smooth the airflow across the heated wires in your mass airflow sensor. The more accurate your mass air is the more efficient your engine runs, I would put it back in.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gain in descreening comes from the fact that initially it runs lean, therefore you feel the power gain. But after driving around your O2 sensors compensate and add fuel. The MAF needs the screen for more consistent readings. I'd put it back on
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I descreened my stock ported MAF, no problems. upgraded to bigger SLP MAF and descreened with no problems. THEN I read how tuners were having problems without the screen and how rotating a descreened MAF to different positions would make differences, so is best putting screens back on for tuning. Since I am planning some future mods and eventually new tune, I researched some alternatives (The original thread is mentioned above! it had awesome info about aluminum photography mesh).
$10 aluminum mesh from Ebay
$2 tube of Goop
Attached Thumbnails Mass air flow question???-screen1.jpg   Mass air flow question???-screen2.jpg   Mass air flow question???-screen4.jpg  

Last edited by RJDio; 12-29-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Mass air flow question???