Oil catch can for decent price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Here's my Norris can.
Are you not using a PCV valve??

Last edited by LS6427; 01-27-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts

Yes I am. I haven't painted it yet.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I'm a noob, so take it easy on me...

Just bought my Trans Am a few weeks ago and haven't put enough miles on it yet to notice any oil consumption or MPG issues. It looks like the oil catch can is a necessity of life so I'll definitely put one on there.

However, how do I determine how much damage (gunk build up) there might already be? Thanks guys!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought a Ebay special, was like $20, works great I empty it out once a month. I liked the black color powerdercoat but it looked ricey so I took the clear tubing off the side and sealed in screws instead. for $20 bucks it is a bargain and it works
Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc Vater
Okay, I'm a noob, so take it easy on me...

Just bought my Trans Am a few weeks ago and haven't put enough miles on it yet to notice any oil consumption or MPG issues. It looks like the oil catch can is a necessity of life so I'll definitely put one on there.

However, how do I determine how much damage (gunk build up) there might already be? Thanks guys!
Do a top end cleaning........but for heavens sake....DO NOT use Seafoam.

Buy MCCC at a Dodge/Chrysler dealer (call first to see if they have it)..... Or go buy top end cleaner at the GM dealership.

Also buy a new PCV valve in case yours is stuck open causing the oil consumption. Might want to actually remove the intake to clean it out with degreaser real good. But not totally necessary if you get a good foam type top end cleaner like MCCC.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts

Why all the sudden hate for seafoam?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Banned

Seafoam has always been the wrong product for cleaning the engines top end. Dangerous and it does almost nothing to clean the top end.

Seafoam is very good for cleaning the fuel system and for cleaning the crankcase and engine right before an oil change.

Foam cleaners are the only products that work to clean a top end.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by LS6427
Do a top end cleaning........but for heavens sake....DO NOT use Seafoam.

Buy MCCC at a Dodge/Chrysler dealer (call first to see if they have it)..... Or go buy top end cleaner at the GM dealership.

Also buy a new PCV valve in case yours is stuck open causing the oil consumption. Might want to actually remove the intake to clean it out with degreaser real good. But not totally necessary if you get a good foam type top end cleaner like MCCC.
Thanks! Do you know of a good "how to" vid or tutorial on how to do a top end cleaning (and remove the intake), or is this something I should have a shop do? Also, if I pull off the throttle body and inspect it, would that also be a good indicator?

Once again thanks for the help. All of my knowledge is on Harleys, so I'm still learning a lot on cars
Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Banned

Thanks! Do you know of a good "how to" vid or tutorial on how to do a top end cleaning (and remove the intake), or is this something I should have a shop do? Also, if I pull off the throttle body and inspect it, would that also be a good indicator?

Once again thanks for the help. All of my knowledge is on Harleys, so I'm still learning a lot on cars
If you get a good foam-type cleaner like MCCC you won't have to remove the intake....and if you're not careful removing it you can break the Oil Pressure Sending Unit and the vacuum lines can be a bitch to deal with. There will be oil in the intake, all of them have oil in there. Just reach your fingers in there and they should come back with oil on them.

If you cannot find MCCC.....get this.....I've heard it's just as good.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...and-degreaser/

Look how we'll it worked for this guy:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/16100503-post52.html

Also.....Yamaha outboard motor top end cleaner is kickass too.

All you do is spray it in, via a 12 inch long piece of 3/8" hose......connected to the vacuum port on the passengers side front of the intake. Get a piece of clear hose if you can find one.

- Engine fully HOT
- Spray the entire can in....non-stop....with the engine idling. No revving.
- When you feel/hear the can start to run empty, have a friend shut the engine down before it runs out. Then keep emptying the can into the intake till it runs out. IMPORTANT to not let the can run out with the engine still idling.........
- let it sit for 4 hours....Longer the better.
- Install a NEW PCV valve.
- Then start it and let it idle ONLY. No revs. Let it idle for 15 minutes. It should smoke out the tailpipes but it might not.
- After it idles for 15 minutes go for the easiest, most mellow drive you can. DO NOT haul *** yet. Drive it for 15 minutes gradually accelerating to 40,50,60,70 mph. Do it slowly each time, then take your foot off the gas and let it slow down. Do these gradual accelerations until the engine sounds and feels 100% smooth with zero hesitation or misfires. When you can do a moderate acceleration from say 20-70mph......then you're good for a hard WOT run.
- Don't do a hard acceleration until its smoothly climbing up to 70 mph. misfires and hesitation are what blows heads gaskets from detonation and misfires when you accelerate hard.

That's it.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by LS6427
If you get a good foam-type cleaner like MCCC you won't have to remove the intake....and if you're not careful removing it you can break the Oil Pressure Sending Unit and the vacuum lines can be a bitch to deal with. There will be oil in the intake, all of them have oil in there. Just reach your fingers in there and they should come back with oil on them.

If you cannot find MCCC.....get this.....I've heard it's just as good.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...and-degreaser/

Look how we'll it worked for this guy:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/16100503-post52.html

Also.....Yamaha outboard motor top end cleaner is kickass too.

All you do is spray it in, via a 12 inch long piece of 3/8" hose......connected to the vacuum port on the passengers side front of the intake. Get a piece of clear hose if you can find one.

- Engine fully HOT
- Spray the entire can in....non-stop....with the engine idling. No revving.
- When you feel/hear the can start to run empty, have a friend shut the engine down before it runs out. Then keep emptying the can into the intake till it runs out. IMPORTANT to not let the can run out with the engine still idling.........
- let it sit for 4 hours....Longer the better.
- Install a NEW PCV valve.
- Then start it and let it idle ONLY. No revs. Let it idle for 15 minutes. It should smoke out the tailpipes but it might not.
- After it idles for 15 minutes go for the easiest, most mellow drive you can. DO NOT haul *** yet. Drive it for 15 minutes gradually accelerating to 40,50,60,70 mph. Do it slowly each time, then take your foot off the gas and let it slow down. Do these gradual accelerations until the engine sounds and feels 100% smooth with zero hesitation or misfires. When you can do a moderate acceleration from say 20-70mph......then you're good for a hard WOT run.
- Don't do a hard acceleration until its smoothly climbing up to 70 mph. misfires and hesitation are what blows heads gaskets from detonation and misfires when you accelerate hard.

That's it.

Excellent, thank you very much! Any particular brand of PCV valve you recommend? Also, is it hard to get to or is it pretty easy? Sorry, I haven't spent any time under the hood yet so I know nothing...as if you couldn't already tell
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 AM
Banned

Excellent, thank you very much! Any particular brand of PCV valve you recommend? Also, is it hard to get to or is it pretty easy? Sorry, I haven't spent any time under the hood yet so I know nothing...as if you couldn't already tell
I'm using a damn iPad right now because my laptop took a crap 2 days ago, or I would post pictures. It should take you 30 seconds to replace it.

It's in the rubber line that's attached to the vacuum port on the intake I mentioned. Pop it off and pop the metal PCV valve out.....push the new one in and pop the vacuum line back on.

The PCV valve inserts into a small fatter part of that line. It's inside the rubber line and its about 1" or so in diameter....in that line.

PCV valves are like $2.00. Make sure you get the new version, just ask them for the new model.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Eric just got back to me from lashway. They are crazy backed up on the catch cans. Very popular. Good luck with your motor ls6. I think I read before that that 427 you had lasted over 100k right. If im correct that is sweeet man. Who built your first engine and what happened. Your new 390 should be sick im jealous.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Launching!

For the pcv valve make sure you get the new one at a dealer. The part number is 12572717. I tried giving the part number to autorzone and a couple other places and didnt come up with anything. You could order the new pcv at ws6store.com or go to dealer and give them that part number. It has helped my car alot. I was consuming almost a quart every 1k miles ,now I have added barely any in 1200 miles. It is a fixed type with a pin hole where oil enters. I belive it was used in the trucks maybe 6.0 or 5.3 not to sure. Its like 7 bucks at dealer or ws6.store. If you go to autostore and asked for your make and model you get the one with spring shaker thing(not sure whats called lol) and you dont want that one.Gm should of changed the part number in the system because it is a lot better. When I switched intakes I was shocked how much oil in it. Was killing my gas mileage. Gl

Last edited by dhctss; 01-28-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dhctss
Eric just got back to me from lashway. They are crazy backed up on the catch cans. Very popular. Good luck with your motor ls6. I think I read before that that 427 you had lasted over 100k right. If im correct that is sweeet man. Who built your first engine and what happened. Your new 390 should be sick im jealous.
(ARE) Agostino Racing Engines built it back in 2002. Drove it as my only car for 10+ years with that engine. And it was at 173,000 miles when a rod snapped at 150mph. It was actually built at ARE by the late Dave Diluca.....

I got 4 race engines lives out of that one engine.......very satisfied.

390ci will be strong......but after it gets the TT kit....then it'll be sick.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dhctss
For the pcv valve make sure you get the new one at a dealer. The part number is 12572717. I tried giving part number to autorzone and a couple other places and didnt come up with anything. You could order then new pcv at ws6store.com or go to dealer and give them that part number. It has helped my car alot. I was consuming almost a quart 1k miles now I have added barely any in 1200 miles. It is a fixed type with a pin hole I belive used in the trucks maybe 6.0 or 5.3 not to sure. Its like 7 bucks at dealer or ws6.store. If you go to autostore and asked for your make and model you get the one with spring shaker thing(not sure whats called lol). Gm should of changed it because it is a lot better. When I switched intakes I was shocked how much oil in it. Was killing my gas mileage. Gl
Yup...there's that part number.....12572717......get it at the dealer.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Norris Catch Can here, and it seems to be working great.
-Joel
Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 PM

Thanks for helping out the noob everyone! I'll be picking up my catch can soon (fortunately we have a Norris dealer here in Lubbock, TX), doing a top end clean, and replacing the PCV. I'll have the camera ready for some pictures, and any massive smoke clouds I might get

Oh BTW, after I spray the MCCC in and let it set for 4 hours, how hard is the car to start? Anything special I need to do to make it easier to start? What if I can't get it to start? I've been reading a few posts tonight saying the car can be pretty hard to start, but nobody really has offered any suggestions/instructions on how to remedy.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Banned

Thanks for helping out the noob everyone! I'll be picking up my catch can soon (fortunately we have a Norris dealer here in Lubbock, TX), doing a top end clean, and replacing the PCV. I'll have the camera ready for some pictures, and any massive smoke clouds I might get

Oh BTW, after I spray the MCCC in and let it set for 4 hours, how hard is the car to start? Anything special I need to do to make it easier to start? What if I can't get it to start? I've been reading a few posts tonight saying the car can be pretty hard to start, but nobody really has offered any suggestions/instructions on how to remedy.

Thanks guys!
If you use a foam type cleaner....it should start right up. People who insist on using SeaFoam literally flood their rear two cylinders and that's probably why they get hard starts....who knows.

I've never really heard of a starting problem with foams. What does happen very rarely....an 02 sensor can get trashed when doing a top end cleaning. I personally don't know anyone that this has happened to, but some people reported having to get a new 02 sensor. You should be fine.

You could get it to operating temp......twist the sensors out and do the top end administration and then shut it off, it only takes 30 seconds till the can runs out. Then after it sits for 4 hours start it up and let it idle for about 2-3 minutes....then shut it off and put the 02 sensors back in. But I wouldn't worry about it....

Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM

Greetings! Sorry for disappearing there for a little while, it's been a crazy week.

Picked up my Norris can, PCV, and MCCC today so hopefully I'll get them all done this weekend. Quick question; is the PCV located at the intake side, or on the valve cover side. That vacuum line looks like it runs to the back part of the valve cover, which would make it a pain to get to. Also if you have any install tips on the Norris can I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh good god almighty here we go.
Iv used seafoam MANY times for years with great results. Never any hard starts or ANY problems.
I tried MCCC 1 time in my life and ended up with a #7 misfire, hard start, and a bad o2. Not saying it dosent work but theres my experience with it.
My dad who is a car nut and have probably had more cars than god has used it forever with great results also. Hes the reason why I started using it.
YES IN THE TOP END.
This debate is freaking old. Seafoam has been just great for MANY people and then there is always a few who dont like it.
The end take care

Quick Reply: Oil catch can for decent price?