General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Holy s%^# stains batman, my car dies @ highway speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Holy s%^# stains batman, my car dies @ highway speeds.

The third & final time my car just shut off @ 70 mph last Saturday Night on the entrance ramp on The Throgs Neck Bridge in NY w/ 0 degree weather was pretty hairy. It turned out a mouse chewed the cam pos wire, a ground wire and one or two others in the harness which fried the cam pos sensor.

I had the car towed 50 miles via aaa+ to a non active board member who I now totally trust. What a difference, the wires must have been chewed for a long time. The car is so much more responsive. I thought I would pass on my nightmare b/c it may help someone in the future.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Damn meeces.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had a similar thing happen to a 2003 jeep gc when i had it. driving down the road fortunately it was in town and 30-40 mph engine would just shut off like you turned the key off while driving. Turned out to be the fuel injector wiring harness that ran from the back of the inline-6 motor onto the top of the intake/exh manifold. On the rear where it came over the valve cover the harness rested on the exposed stud of the valve cover, after 6 years and 60k or whatever miles that stud eventually wore into the harness and shorted 3 or 4 wires. Problem seemed random at first, happened one night but truck restarted and made it home. didn't happen for another 7 days then would happen repeatedly within 5-10 minutes after the engine was started whether you were driving or not. Worst part is this type of failure caused the engine computer to reset and it never tripped a trouble code. eventually brought it to the dealer, those ******* had to know of the problem because within a 15 minutes of the 1 hour $90 diagnostic charge the guy found the break in the harness in the rear of the motor that you could barely see. in my case it was an obvious factory build flaw, so if you see those year jeep grand cherokees on the highway randomly shutting off and/or crashing, now you know why.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guy came over to this "non active" member with a quote from a dealer for $986 to drop a gas tank and replace a vacuum switch and a dozen other related items in his daily driver. Poked my head under there and found an EVAP sensor line chewed. That sensor happens to be the same part number for the one in the tank, but its just sitting under the car and easy to get to. Dealer figured he could gouge him for the labor, plus a new sensor, plus a new harness. 33 cents worth of environmental crimps and its good as new. Dem mice will get ya.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I am not alone. Lol.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

give a mouse a cookie, and he'll want to floss with your wirez
Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess he had a feast lol.

Quick Reply: Holy s%^# stains batman, my car dies @ highway speeds.