General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key Fob help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob help

I haven't been able to find a thread that will help me, so I'm starting one.

I have a 96 Trans Am and I have been trying to program a keyfob. But i can't get the car to enter the program mode. Too be honest I'm not sure if it even has the system needed for the keyfob. I don't know how it works. I'm just assuming.

The car had an aftermarket alarm when I bought it, it malfunctioned shortly after I bought it. So I removed the entire alram. I did not try to program a key fob before I removed the alarm so I don't know if this is the problem. The alarm box in the trunk has been removed.

This is the method I was trying:

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Remove the RADIO (#17) fuse.
Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times within 5 seconds. The BCM will confirm entry into the programming mode by performing the following actions:
Locking both of the doors.
Unlocking the driver's door.
Releasing the rear compartment lid.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter for approximately 15 seconds. The BCM will confirm the programming of that transmitter by performing the following actions:
Locking both of the doors.
Unlocking the driver's door.
Releasing the rear compartment lid.
Repeat the previous step to program up to 4transmitters.
Replace the RADIO (#17) fuse.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
So am I doing something wrong or does the car not have the required system for the key fob?
Any help is much appreciated.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

That seriously sounds like someone trolling you.

I took my key fob for my JEEP to a local dealer and they did it for me.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Launching!

I may have to swallow my pride and have GM d. o it this spring. I never did get it to do anything.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If an aftermarket alarm was installed they might have disconnected the factory keyless system. Also the battery could be low in the fob so check that too.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

96's have keyless entry integrated into the BCM. The steps you posted appear correct. Is this a new or used key fob? If it's an old one, try replacing the battery and cleaning the button contacts. If it's new, make sure you have the correct part number. Other key fobs may look similar but won't work.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
If an aftermarket alarm was installed they might have disconnected the factory keyless system. Also the battery could be low in the fob so check that too.
Can I reinstall the keyless system or would it be better to get another aftermarket system?

Originally Posted by Spartan7
96's have keyless entry integrated into the BCM. The steps you posted appear correct. Is this a new or used key fob? If it's an old one, try replacing the battery and cleaning the button contacts. If it's new, make sure you have the correct part number. Other key fobs may look similar but won't work.
Its an older one I swiped it out of a 2000ish grand prix I believe in a junkyard. I haven't tried replacing the battery yet. I'll have to try that sometime. I'm in the middle of a wiring nightmare at the moment.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since the fob is from a Grand Prix it's probably not compatible with the factory keyless system. Take it to any GM dealer and have them compare the part number on it to the correct one for your car. If it's the right one and you can figure out how to hookup the factory system you can go that route. If not just get an aftermarket system since it'll give you instructions on how to install it. I put a keyless remote system in my daughter's car and it was pretty easy.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Since the fob is from a Grand Prix it's probably not compatible with the factory keyless system. Take it to any GM dealer and have them compare the part number on it to the correct one for your car. If it's the right one and you can figure out how to hookup the factory system you can go that route. If not just get an aftermarket system since it'll give you instructions on how to install it. I put a keyless remote system in my daughter's car and it was pretty easy.
I'll have to look into that when I get some time. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Figured I'd post in this thread before I start another one. I looked at my RPO codes I don't have AU0 so I don't have have factory key less entry. But I've been eying a viper 5204 system (remote start and alarm). But what I can't seem to figure out if it adds key less entry as well or does it just use the factory system. If that's the case then it really doesn't do me any good.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go to Best Buy they will know the system that will work with your car. They have good prices and will price match too.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Go to Best Buy they will know the system that will work with your car. They have good prices and will price match too.
Thanks for jumping back in the thread RedHot.
Ok I may make it over there sometime this week. I didn't know they price match. I'm guessing they don't price match amazon though do they?
Old 06-15-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

They should match any major retailer.

Quick Reply: Key Fob help