General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PCV concern

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV concern

Water pump took a dump so I did some wrench time to replace it. While I was under the hood I noticed something that has me concerned.

Looks like a lot of oil on the passanger side near the PCV valve. I'm going to go get a new one but I was wondering if this looks right. The hose covering seems to have receded towards the back of the motor, exposing the PCV valve. I tried pulling it forward but it won't budge. Is this how it's suppose to be, or should it be covering the valve all the way up to where it enters the intake manifold?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can buy a new PCV valve line at the dealership. Possibly aftermarket.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Ls6 vc ftw !!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
You can buy a new PCV valve line at the dealership. Possibly aftermarket.

So you think it looks like I have to replace the whole line as opposed to just changing out the valve?

Is it a quick and easy job to replace the line? I just don't want to spend a lot of time stretching to reach the rear lip of the engine compartment due to painful back problems... I had to and take a Vicodin after changing out my water pump...
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
Ls6 vc ftw !!!!

Huh? You saying the valley cover is to blame?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

you dont have a LS6 VC.....so how could it be to blame?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Microtech82
So you think it looks like I have to replace the whole line as opposed to just changing out the valve?

Is it a quick and easy job to replace the line? I just don't want to spend a lot of time stretching to reach the rear lip of the engine compartment due to painful back problems... I had to and take a Vicodin after changing out my water pump...
I cant see the picture because im at work, but if the line is broken on the VC, you will need a new line. Im going through a similar problem, i had oil pouring down the back of car causing it to look like the rear main seal was leaking, so after replacing it two times and still having a leak i decided i cant have done it wrong twice and found my PCV line was split in half in the back dumping oil down the back of the block.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CarolinaTA
I cant see the picture because im at work, but if the line is broken on the VC, you will need a new line. Im going through a similar problem, i had oil pouring down the back of car causing it to look like the rear main seal was leaking, so after replacing it two times and still having a leak i decided i cant have done it wrong twice and found my PCV line was split in half in the back dumping oil down the back of the block.
That blows wind, my friend, glad I didn't have that problem. My leak is occuring at the front, next to where the pcv enters the intake right behind the TB. The concern arises from the fact that the thick hose that covers the pcv line has pulled back away from the rubber sleeve that hides the valve and has exposed part of the thin line inside. I'm assuming the thick hose is only there to protect/insulate the pcv line and it is completely normal to not be sealed against the valve, but I've never messed with it before and just wanted to ask you guys to be sure.

On another note, after reading about your fiasco, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe my line is split in a different spot and just happens to be dripping out the open end of the thick hose next to the valve, giving the illusion that the valve is to blame....
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sjsingle1 is talking about the LS6 PCV conversion that gets rid of all the exterior lines. LS6 PCV and LS6 VC= the same thing.

Anyway, I've had a leak down the back of my motor lately. I'm pretty confident that the y piece in the pcv is rotted and leaking. So I'm going to redo the pcv like this guy did: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...over-hose.html

It won't be a permanent solution for me, but until I have time to upgrade to the LS6 PCV, I'm confident this will suffice. No sense in spending an outrageous amount for a fragile factory piece if this will do the job just as well and hold up better. For as cheap as this is, it may be worth doing in your case too.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Microtech82
I'm assuming the thick hose is only there to protect/insulate the pcv line and it is completely normal to not be sealed against the valve, but I've never messed with it before and just wanted to ask you guys to be sure.
Right, that's just the insulating cover for the plastic pipe that runs to the back. You might check the rubber holder the pcv valve fits it for leaking, they are sort of a bad design, I replaced mine with 3/4" heater hose and clamps. Also the plastic pipe might be cracked.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z
sjsingle1 is talking about the LS6 PCV conversion that gets rid of all the exterior lines. LS6 PCV and LS6 VC= the same thing.

Anyway, I've had a leak down the back of my motor lately. I'm pretty confident that the y piece in the pcv is rotted and leaking. So I'm going to redo the pcv like this guy did: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...over-hose.html

It won't be a permanent solution for me, but until I have time to upgrade to the LS6 PCV, I'm confident this will suffice. No sense in spending an outrageous amount for a fragile factory piece if this will do the job just as well and hold up better. For as cheap as this is, it may be worth doing in your case too.
Ooooh... I was wondering what he was talking about. I'm just now starting to get into modifying and repairing my Camaro. I haven't had much wrench time under its hood so I'm still learning everything. I'll check out the conversion; as you said, the line is ridiculously expensive considering what it does, and if it is a cheaper and more reliable conversion I would be a fool not to jump on it. Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by patSS/00
Right, that's just the insulating cover for the plastic pipe that runs to the back. You might check the rubber holder the pcv valve fits it for leaking, they are sort of a bad design, I replaced mine with 3/4" heater hose and clamps. Also the plastic pipe might be cracked.
Yeah my main concern right now is that the pipe is cracked. Hopefully it's just the rubber boot that holds the valve or the valve itself.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

I haven't been able to actually WITNESS the leak. It's not like spitting out fluid and crap when the engine is idling with the hood up. I don't understand the precise mechanics of the pcv line...does it only work while the engine is under load or after the car has been running for a while? It's frustrating because I am unable to witness the leak and pinpoint its location. I clean the area and then, boom, two days later I pop the hood and see more grime on the head under the valve. Speaking of which, it's dripping right onto a little metal rail that runs under the TB and enters some fixture on the head under the valve. What is this rail, and could it possibly be leaking the fluids causing the grime? I just assumed it was a problem with the pcv because the oil was found underneath it, but now I'm wondering if the head is leaking something around the base of that rail fixture. Again, reference the provided photo to see what I'm talking about if I'm being unclear. Thanks again for all the input, fellas.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

3 choices..........replace with new stock PCV lines......fab up some replacement lines...........or get a LS6 VC
Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

I think I'll try the conversion. Thanks, fellas!

Quick Reply: PCV concern