General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas Tanks--Steel vs Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tanks--Steel vs Plastic

I have a '95 Camaro and the stock tank could be replaced as it's looking a little crusty. My question is which tank has more capacity and which offers more room between it and the axle?

I'm running a MWC Fab9 with a watts link and my car is low and I'm hitting the factory tank with the rod end for the watts on the driver side. I was hoping that the plastic tank would tuck up higher so I wouldn't be hitting the tank.

Also I'm using a Racetronix fuel pump with the hot wire kit, can I drop that into the plastic tank if I buy one of them? Or do I need to get a new pump.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

The plastic tank has a higher storage capacity (I think the exact specs are 16.8 gallon vs 15.5 if I remember correctly).

Not sure about fitment differences with your specific setup though. But the EVAP canister mounts directly on the top of the tank (plastic) vs. next to the tank (steel), and the fuel pump mounting location is also a bit different between the two tanks (further forward on the steel tank from what I remember).
Old 02-20-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The pump and wiring harness are different between the 2, and with the higher fuel capacity I don't see you having more clearance with the plastic tank; but I could be wrong!
IMO, have you considered modifying a new metal tank?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

the plastic tank fits perfectly in the spot for the metal tank on a 98 body car. Not sure about the clearance you need on the top though. Couldnt tell if that changed any or how much was lost with the plastic tank.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The pump and wiring harness are different between the 2, and with the higher fuel capacity I don't see you having more clearance with the plastic tank; but I could be wrong!
IMO, have you considered modifying a new metal tank?
I have considered getting a new metal tank and welding in a recessed spot to clear the watts link. I don't want to try to weld on a tank that has had fuel in it

So I figured if I need to get a new tank, maybe the plastic tank is a better option for me, and I would get another gallon of fuel or so and be a little bit lighter than the steel tank.

I'll have to do some more looking and maybe ask for some pics of guys using the MWC rear with a watts link. My car isn't terribly low in the rear right now and I seem to be hitting on everything right now

Quick Reply: Gas Tanks--Steel vs Plastic