General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blinker problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinker problem.

A few days after I bought my car I gave it a wash. After that, when I would use my left blinker, the green arrow in the gauge cluster stays lit, but the blinker won't work. The right one is fine.

So I took my car to get emissions/safety inspection and had them take a look. They took me into the garage and the socket for the left front blinker was in really bad shape. So they replaced that and a new bulb and every thing worked fine. Few days ago I washed my car again and the same issue happens. Only this time my right blinker stays lit constantly unless I use the right blinker. It's something I have never seen before.

Any ideas?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our cars are known for the sockets burning out. You might have a leaking housing and that's causing this issue, time is also a factor. After awhile the sockets tend to burn out.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firemech21
Our cars are known for the sockets burning out. You might have a leaking housing and that's causing this issue, time is also a factor. After awhile the sockets tend to burn out.
Really? Never heard about that for these car. When it has to be the back on this time. I'll find the part and order it his week and see how she goes. Thanks man.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you hazards work correctly, its just a bad turn signal blinker.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
A few days after I bought my car I gave it a wash. After that, when I would use my left blinker, the green arrow in the gauge cluster stays lit, but the blinker won't work. The right one is fine.

So I took my car to get emissions/safety inspection and had them take a look. They took me into the garage and the socket for the left front blinker was in really bad shape. So they replaced that and a new bulb and every thing worked fine. Few days ago I washed my car again and the same issue happens. Only this time my right blinker stays lit constantly unless I use the right blinker. It's something I have never seen before.

Any ideas?
Hi Tipnitty,
We recommend taking your vehicle back for it to be looked at again by the technicians at the dealer. Please keep us updated on your vehicle's status.

Thank you,
Sara (Assisting Matt)
GM Customer Service
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP from what you say it is probably the socket. I ended up replacing my housings because they were cracked. I spliced in a new socket have had no problems since. Easy fix. Autozone has the socket it is a GM type I cant remember the number
Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It might be a socket, it might not. There are 15 different ways for the blinkers to fail and its really easy to isolate the problem by just running the turn signals on each side followed by the hazards.

The turns and hazards share everything except for switches, a little wiring and the flashers. If the problem is common to them, then the issue is on a common component. (bulbs, sockets, lenses, DRL's) If the problem is not common to them, then the issue is something not shared. (blinkers, switches, etc.)

Some mechanics will have challenges doing this diagnostic because the setup is a little complex, but if one dies the correct tests, its easy to get a correct diagnosis without getting dirty.

Quick Reply: Blinker problem.