General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaking PS pump drive seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Leaking PS pump drive seal

It appears the seal behind my pulley on the pump is leaking. I'm not crazy about adding stop leak and having it get in the rack. I happen to have a Turn One pump with the billet pulley. Can the seal itself be replaced or do I need to buy an entire new pump?
Old 03-16-2013, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The seal can be replaced along with all the orings its very easy to do just takes some time to rip everything apart. There are a few guides here and on youtube or ls1.com you can find that will show you how to do it all step by step. I redid my entire system with all new seals for preventive maintenance when i added my new rack. Its also a great time to add a power steering cooler to your system and replace the lines when you have it apart. You can do the lines the cheap way with some fuel hose and some hose clamps.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Are you sure its the shaft seal? If the seal between the tank and pump goes, it could leak in a similar way.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm not positive it's the shaft seal. We sprayed the area with cleaner and it appeared to be coming from the seal behind the pulley; we didn't use dye, etc.

I'm having problems locating the referenced videos on how to replace the o-rings & seals. Turn One will sell the service kit separately in my situation although it requires a call. I checked with the local dealer and they only replace the entire pump... they don't service the seals. I'll look in my Helms manual tonight to see if replacing the seals is documented. If not I either hope to find online details or buy a whole replacement.

Good news is the alternator which I thought was damaged tested fine at the shop which rebuilt it a few months ago. I just had them disassemble and clean everything. But I don't want to install it or replace the belt until the leak is properly resolved.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Since you have a Turn One pulley (its easy to unbolt the pump!) I'd clean the pump up, run it, and then unbolt the pump from the block to take a good look at it. I'll bet by unbolting it (and not removing the hoses) you might get a better look at it.

The dealer will only replace as the labor for them to rebuild will be more than a replacement job. (Plus its more risky for the dealer, who is charging you book time.)

I don't recall seeing a rebuild procedure in the Helm manual, but its worth a look.

You might also call TurnOne and see what they would do for you on a simple seal replacement if you sent it in to them. (vs. a full rebuild) They were really flexible with me and its pretty easy to take off and return since you have their pulley installed. They turned my pump around in a week.

BTW - The TurnOne pulley is keyed and secured with aircraft wire. It's not really intended for you to rebuild at home or take that pulley off.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
You might also call TurnOne and see what they would do for you on a simple seal replacement if you sent it in to them. (vs. a full rebuild) They were really flexible with me and its pretty easy to take off and return since you have their pulley installed. They turned my pump around in a week.
As a fellow Turn One owner, THIS^^^ is what I would also suggest, unless this is your only car/daily driver, and you cannot even borrow some other wheels for the turn around/down time.

Quick Reply: Leaking PS pump drive seal