General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

(Video) E-brake Handle Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default (Video) E-brake Handle Rattle

Cliff notes: PO installed poly trans mount with stock motor mounts, the clip that rides agains the ratcheting ebrake handle "disk" rattles throughout almost the entire rpm range and gets really bad at anything over 65mph. I have searched without results, I've bent the clip as much as I can towards the disk and that definitely helped for about a week. But its back to its old way now. Help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DV30...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-16-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it's rattling against the electrical switch for the ebrake light, you might consider removing the switch so the ebrake light just never comes on. then without he switch there, there's nothing for the handle to rattle against. otherwise maybe modify the switch to take up some of the free play in the handle, or put some foam (like from under the carpet) under the switch to take up the slack and prevent rattle, and that would allow everything to function normally.

the other thing is replacing the poly trans mount with an oem rubber one. fact of having that much vibration is not good for anything else, provided the sole cause is the poly trans mount. if you have other causes of vibration like drive shaft or tire imbalance then you need to fix that also.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 03-16-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

I'll look into that, I'd rather not remove the switch but I'll check. Yes I plan on doing that, in fact I need a trans swap or rebuild since I blew reverse and a rubber mount is definitely in order, the vibration is hard to live with and I like my cars rough and loud.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Its not the switch, it doesn't rattle against the clip. The e-brake handle has a ratcheting mechanism that swivels on a toothed "disk". Everything is held together by rivets, and the handle assembly is rattlign against the disk section which is integrated into the entire e-brake base/ assembly. I attempted to calmp down on the metal wherever it comes into contact with the disk and it helped a bit but now there is an even more frequent rattle.

There is no clearance between the handle assembly and disk to put something that will dampen the sound, not to mention its a moving part so whatever you put there will wear out soon enough.

Quick Reply: (Video) E-brake Handle Rattle