General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Horn doesn't work, but I can hear the relay clicking

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn doesn't work, but I can hear the relay clicking

Hi all,

Ok so my horn is not sounding. Trying to figure out why.

1. Press the horn buttons, both of them. No horn
2. Press the horn button and with hood open and fuse box open listen, hear a click from the fuse/relay when I press the horn.
3. Swapped the relay out for the next one and same result, clicking noise but no sound from the horn.

What does this mean guys?

What should my next step be?

Thanks

Alex
Old 04-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Replace the horn would be my guess.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a multimeter and have someone press the horn to make sure you are getting power. If you are then replace the horns. If not trace back until you find where the power is being cut.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the ground. It seems in my luck at least 50% of electrical problems are ground related.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Platinum WS6
Take a multimeter and have someone press the horn to make sure you are getting power. If you are then replace the horns. If not trace back until you find where the power is being cut.
If you have power, you also need a good ground as stated by Heavy.
People always forget about the grounds lol...

Do yourself a favor and go buy a $20 DMM (digital multimeter), and go find your horn. There are generally two wires attached. One is a power wire, one is a ground.

The power wire (one of the two) should have 12volts DC or more if the car is running. To do so, put the meter in DC Volts mode, put one lead on the negative of the battery, while someone is holding the horn down, put the other lead on one of two of the terminals. At least one of them should read 12volts or higher. If it's lower than 11v you have a bad power wire somewhere. If BOTH of the wires read 12v, well you definitely have a bad ground.

If you read 12v on one of the two wires....time to check the ground wire.
The ground wire, you need to check for continuity. Put the DMM in "Ohms" mode or the horseshoe sign. Put one end on your - on your battery, put the other end of the DMM on one of the wires coming off the horn. If you read anything over 0.3ohms (OL, or no reading) you have a bad ground. 0.0 - 0.2ohms is acceptable. The lower the Ohms, the better. 0.0 is perfect.

If both of the tests conclude you have a good power, ground, then you have a bad horn unit.

Quick Reply: Horn doesn't work, but I can hear the relay clicking