General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

97 Trans Am, Bad Cats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Trans Am, Bad Cats?

Whats up people. I've been trying to track down a problem but have just dealt with it. When I drive the car in only hot weather, and I'm doing city driving like stop and go where things tend to get hot, the car starts feeling bogged down. After a while of driving like this, the car begins to to feel even worse. As soon as the car starts doing this, and you remove the gas cap with the engine running, tons of hot fuel vapor shootout, the fuel pump starts wining and the engine dies. When I first bought the car I was getting CEL for the evap system. I found out that the lines were clogged with charcoal. I replaced the canister and blew the lines out and never had a CEL for the evap system again. This problem is strictly heat related. At idle, you can hear small mini popping explosion sounds in the exhaust like every 3-5 seconds

The only thing that I can think of that would cause this, is bad cats making the exhaust get so hot that its actually making the fuel in the tank hot causing excessive fuel vapor that the system can't purge. Has anyone heard or ran into something like this? And no, there are no codes stored or CEL at anytime.

Last edited by Phil424; 04-09-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 97 Trans Am, Bad Cats?