General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

"Security" light is on in my car and won't turn off, why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same light on in my car too and I also had problems with my car not wanting to start. I disabled the VATS with the HP tuners and the light is still on. I just changed the ignition switch and key barrel with parts i got from auto zone. A friend of mine did the work for me so I'm not sure if he did the VATS bypass or not. Anyway the car starts fine now and the light is still on.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone accidentally hurled on my dash & steering column while i was driving, soon after the security light came on.

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html

excerpt from the page:

The lock cylinder circuit is continuously monitored. If a fault lasting 1 minute is detected, the SECURITY lamp will light. If the fault then goes away for 1 minute, the lamp will go back off.

If the system detects a fault with the lock cylinder circuit after the engine is already running, the SECURITY lamp will light. The engine will be able to be restarted. This is called “fault enable mode”. (The system saw a good reading from the key at one point during a previous ignition cycle before the failure. So, it considers it a problem and not someone trying to steal the car.) When in fault enable mode, PASSKey protection is disabled until the problem is repaired. Once repaired, the SECURITY lamp will go out about 1 minute after the key is turned on. Fault enable mode will not shut down the engine while you are driving.

Cant be rolling around with my anti-theft inoperable so,

Got some q tips and some 91% rubbing alcohol and cleaned/dried out the key & key hole.

Problem fixed.

Last edited by DragonBlood; 07-15-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had my VATS bypassed when i got my rear o2's deleted and my CAGS bypassed... security light stays on... no big deal
Old 07-12-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try cleaning it first like DragonBlood said.If that doesn't work then let us know.If your car
starts and the light is on,then you only have to look at the annoying light.
You can check the ignition switch by installing the key and unplugging the vatts connecter
and checking the resistance on the connector. It should be the same as the key pellet.

Quick Reply: "Security" light is on in my car and won't turn off, why?