General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What will I have to reset when I disconnect the battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What will I have to reset when I disconnect the battery?

Sorry another newbie Q....

There was a battery leak at sometime in the previous life of my car (99 firebird). I an going to remove the battery and strip and repaint a couple of areas.

When I re-install the battery what will have been to be reset?

Thanks!
Mark
Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Just the clock.

Some learned PCM parameters will be lost, but they will relearn as you drive the car.

Emissions readiness monitors will be reset, so you'll have to drive it around for a while and let them re-complete before taking any sort of OBD emissions scan. There is an OBD drive cycle proceedure you can follow to expedite the completion of these monitors, if you need to take a test right away.

There is also an idle relearn proceedure you could do, but it would eventually relearn on it's own anyway.

If anyone has ever set the "theft-loc" feature on your radio, you'll want to make sure you have that code before disconnecting power, otherwise the radio won't work without the unlock code. If the little red LED on the radio is blinking, then the theft feature is enabled and you'll want to follow the instructions in the Stereo and Electronics section of this site for how to turn it off. Here is a link to the sticky for this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...questions.html
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

All I ever have to do is put in my unlock code for my radio and reset the clock.......that's it, engine is perfect instantly to drive.

Quick Reply: What will I have to reset when I disconnect the battery?