General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gauge Bezal

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Bezal

So I think I screwed up. I pulled out my gauge bezal to unsolder the leds for the abs delete and recircuit the board to operate my e-brake light with the handle. Problem is for some reason I pulled off the needles of the gauges. Is there anyway to correct the needle positioning or do I have to replace the bezal now. Any input would be helpful.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i did the cluster on my 2006 sierra, i calibrated everything myself using my handheld scanner. would have the cluster installed but no faceplate over it so i can touch the needles. if you can do that then when idling the scanner tells you X rpm and Y for coolant, pressed the needles on at that position. for speed i would drive 30 mph then look at the scanner and note the difference, stop, adjust the needle and retry so that at 50-60mph it was accurate. for oil pressure which scanner did not tell me i rigged up a mechanical gauge to the motor then set the gauge needle. i had other reasons for knowing exact oil pressure, in your case if you know what your gauge always did on a cold start i would just ballpark it that way.
other thing you can do is send it out to a cluster repair shop, i believe they have the bench setup so they can put the needles on accurately such as supplying the cluster a speed signal of 55 mph then pressing the needle on pointing at 55. google gm cluster repair.
other thing you might try is just power the cluster with key on but engine not running and set all needles to point to zero. in my case that didn't work that great so i used my scanner.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

A portable GPS on map mode also works great for re-calibrating the speedo.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input